Letter to the Editor

In response to the article printed on February 11 titled UM Idol Winner Drops Cane Records, we would like to express Cane Records’ disappointment that our student-run record label was not represented accurately. We were sorry that the Hurricane rushed to print the article without giving Cane Records a reasonable amount of time to respond since we were not contacted directly through our telephone or E-mail address. Instead, E-mail was forwarded to us from an individual who has no association with Cane Records. To clarify, the UM Idol winner, Matt Feld, was offered a six month contract with Cane Records, and his only obligation would have been to record and promote a six-song CD. Cane Records commitment to the project would have been complete monetary funding, marketing, promotion, manufacturing, and distribution by a staff of over twenty dedicated University of Miami students. It is standard industry practice for a record label to incur the costs of production and recover expenses through product sales. Our goal of the UM Idol project was to promote the winner through an album that would have been beneficial, functional, and profitable for both parties. We also had the objective to promote the winner to other major industry contacts. The percentage mentioned in the article in regards to future albums would have served as a commission for Cane Records for securing an agreement with a major record company, which would have the means of taking his career beyond the capabilities of Cane Records. It is to our disappointment that negotiation was not an option and that no discussion about the agreement was made with Cane Records prior to the final decision. Since we are bound by an academic calendar, it would be difficult to produce and promote an album with the runner-up of the UM Idol competition before the end of the semester. It is unfortunate that we were unable to work with Matt Feld, but we look forward to future projects including another UM Idol.
Thank you,
Lisa Nishioka
President Cane Records

Editor’s Note: The Hurricane tried on numerous occasions to contact Cane Records, but received no response from the President or any other representative that could speak on the issue of Matt Feld’s contract. The article was held from print for over a week in order to get an official statement from Cane Records, but none was ever received until after the article was printed.

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...

Head coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the ninth annual Miami Women's Basketball Fantasy Ca ...

The yearly Miami Fall Invite will take place Friday through Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center, ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...