Hurricane tennis has busy weekend

The University of Miami men’s tennis team bounced back from Friday’s loss to Florida with a convincing 6-1 victory over Florida A&M Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center on the Coral Gables campus.
First-singles player Todd Widom who is ranked ninth among Division 1 collegiate players, rebounded from his first loss of the season with a convincing 6-1, 6-3 win over Florida A&M’s Pfungwa Mahefu.
In doubles play, the Hurricanes swept each match. Luis Manrique and Shauny Hoyes defeated Mahefu and Noel Wadawu 9-8 (6); Andrew Golub and Colin Purcell took an 8-2 win over La’Vaughn Munroe and Zura Zhvania and Widom and Eric Hechtman beat Kamau Murray and Davin Russell 8-4.
The Hurricanes conceded just one match among the singles. Colin Purcell upended Davin Russell 6-4, 6-2; Hechtman defeated Zhvania 6-1, 6-1; and Hoyes toppled Murray 6-1, 6-0.
In the most closely contested match of the afternoon, Golub edged Munroe 4-6, 6-4, 7-5.
The Hurricanes next match is Saturday, Feb. 22 when they travel to play rival Florida State in Tallahassee at 1 p.m.
The No. 14 women’s team suffered its first loss of the 2003 season falling, 6-1, to No. 2 University of Florida Saturday afternoon at the Alfred Ring Tennis Complex in Gainesville, Fla.
The Hurricanes fall to 4-1 on the season, while the Gators improve to 7-1. Additionally, Florida improves its all-time series record over Miami to 31-21.
Freshman Melissa Applebaum was the only Hurricane to earn a singles point, defeating No. 9 Alex Gordon with a straight set victory, 6-3, 6-2. Applebaum improves her record to a perfect 5-0.
Despite an 8-4 doubles victory by Abby Smith and Igna DeVilliers over Florida’s No. 7 duo of Alex Gordon and Julia Scaringe, Florida took two of the three doubles matches to jump out to an early 1-0 lead.
Florida’s No. 26 Zerene Reyes routed Miami’s Ewelina Skaza 6-0, 6-0 at the No. 5 position to give the Gator’s its first singles point and a 2-0 lead.
UF took a convincing 3-0 lead when No. 83 Jennifer Magley defeated Sara Robbins, 6-4, 6-2 at the No. 6 singles spot.
Finally, at the No. 1 position, No. 7 Lindsay Dawaf defeated Miami’s Megan Bradley, 6-2, 7-6 to clinch the match victory for Florida.
The Hurricanes are back in action as they host Harvard on Monday, Feb. 17 at 11 a.m. at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center on the UM campus.

(Courtesy of the Sports Information Department)

It was maybe coincidence, but positioned just behind his left shoulder as Tyrique Stevenson spoke ab ...

The Miami Hurricanes unveiled a new turnover chain this season, replacing the bedazzled “U” that han ...

Before now, the last time the Miami Hurricanes scored 21 or fewer points in four consecutive games w ...

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

Miami wraps up its season-opening homestand with a 2 p.m. Saturday matchup against Bethune-Cookman a ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...