Hurricane tennis has busy weekend

The University of Miami men’s tennis team bounced back from Friday’s loss to Florida with a convincing 6-1 victory over Florida A&M Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center on the Coral Gables campus.
First-singles player Todd Widom who is ranked ninth among Division 1 collegiate players, rebounded from his first loss of the season with a convincing 6-1, 6-3 win over Florida A&M’s Pfungwa Mahefu.
In doubles play, the Hurricanes swept each match. Luis Manrique and Shauny Hoyes defeated Mahefu and Noel Wadawu 9-8 (6); Andrew Golub and Colin Purcell took an 8-2 win over La’Vaughn Munroe and Zura Zhvania and Widom and Eric Hechtman beat Kamau Murray and Davin Russell 8-4.
The Hurricanes conceded just one match among the singles. Colin Purcell upended Davin Russell 6-4, 6-2; Hechtman defeated Zhvania 6-1, 6-1; and Hoyes toppled Murray 6-1, 6-0.
In the most closely contested match of the afternoon, Golub edged Munroe 4-6, 6-4, 7-5.
The Hurricanes next match is Saturday, Feb. 22 when they travel to play rival Florida State in Tallahassee at 1 p.m.
The No. 14 women’s team suffered its first loss of the 2003 season falling, 6-1, to No. 2 University of Florida Saturday afternoon at the Alfred Ring Tennis Complex in Gainesville, Fla.
The Hurricanes fall to 4-1 on the season, while the Gators improve to 7-1. Additionally, Florida improves its all-time series record over Miami to 31-21.
Freshman Melissa Applebaum was the only Hurricane to earn a singles point, defeating No. 9 Alex Gordon with a straight set victory, 6-3, 6-2. Applebaum improves her record to a perfect 5-0.
Despite an 8-4 doubles victory by Abby Smith and Igna DeVilliers over Florida’s No. 7 duo of Alex Gordon and Julia Scaringe, Florida took two of the three doubles matches to jump out to an early 1-0 lead.
Florida’s No. 26 Zerene Reyes routed Miami’s Ewelina Skaza 6-0, 6-0 at the No. 5 position to give the Gator’s its first singles point and a 2-0 lead.
UF took a convincing 3-0 lead when No. 83 Jennifer Magley defeated Sara Robbins, 6-4, 6-2 at the No. 6 singles spot.
Finally, at the No. 1 position, No. 7 Lindsay Dawaf defeated Miami’s Megan Bradley, 6-2, 7-6 to clinch the match victory for Florida.
The Hurricanes are back in action as they host Harvard on Monday, Feb. 17 at 11 a.m. at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center on the UM campus.

(Courtesy of the Sports Information Department)

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Former University of Miami football and NFL star player Jonathan Vilma made a splash in South Florid ...

University of Miami tailback/fullback Trayone Gray, a popular fifth-year senior out of Miami Carol C ...

When Mother’s Day came around back in May, Keontra Smith knew it was time to unveil his college comm ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

A UM researcher has determined that children exposed to traumatic events exhibit pains that if left ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews revealed Thursday the team's schedule ...

The Canes defense is full of big names like Shaq Quarterman and Jaquan Johnson, but these players ha ...

Quick Hits gives University of Miami volleyball fans an inside scoop on the latest additions to the ...

Head coach Mark Richt, all 10 assistant coaches and more than 50 players met with the media at the N ...

The Miami Hurricanes were under the lights at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday, closing out the opening we ...