End of an era for Hurricane men’s swimming

For the last time, a male swimmer on the UM men’s swimming team jumped into the pool on Saturday, Feb. 8th.
After Athletic Director Paul Dee and the board of trustees decided to cut the men’s swimming and diving team due to Title IX requirements three years ago, both teams were temporarily reinstated.
Swim coach James Sweeney said the diving program has kept going on an unlimited basis, because “it has always been one of the best in the country.” Although the school allowed the swimmers to finish their careers, their team gradually faded out. Members on scholarships transferred, others quit and only one lonely fighter, Bjorn Boquist, stayed to the very end.
Since it was founded, UM’s swim program turned out 21 Olympians and 48 NCAA All -Americans. Legends like Jack Nelson, ’56 All-American and Olympian and ’76 coach of the Olympic women’s team, arose from it.
“It doesn’t make much sense to see a tradition like that disappear,” former team captain Tom Caplis said.
He still seeks ways to reinstate the team by keeping contact to coaches within the swimming community, raising awareness about Title IX problems through several news media and looking for donors to give enough money to endow the team.
“Many male athletes are being affected the same way we are here,” UM Diving coach Randy Ableman said. Title IX has always been a nationwide controversial issue. Its concept is simple, but to apply the rules at a university is not. In order to pass the three-part test of the Office for Civil Rights for Title IX, a school either has to provide gender proportionality in athletics, show a history and continuing practice of adding women’s sports, or accommodate athletic interests and abilities of women on campus fully and effectively.
Keeping equality between female and male athletes is more often a budgetary problem than just the demand to establish the correct gender proportionality. Spending scholarship money on men’s teams is usually higher than on women’s. Football and men’s basketball produce discrepancies that eventually have to be evened out by cutting scholarships for other male programs.
After all, Title IX still doesn’t provide a proper solution to meet students’ athletic demands if it has the power to eliminate one of the nations best swim teams.
“The way how the government interprets Title IX will have to change,” said Ableman. “I always hope that they will someday reinstate the swim team.”

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team impressed in its quad-meet Friday af ...

Junior averaged 11.4 points and 6.7 rebounds per game last season. ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

A duo of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes advanced through to the Round of 16 ...

Senior Dew Weber of the University of Miami golf team continued to march towards her professional go ...