‘Canes suffer tough loss at Boston College

Men’s basketball comes out flat at Boston College
Troy Bell scored 34 points, hitting two key 3-pointers in the second half, as Boston College beat Miami on Saturday for its fifth win in six games.
Freshman Louis Hinnant had 10 for BC (13-9, 6-5 Big East), converting a three-point play to start a 13-5 second-half run after Miami cut the deficit to 45-43. He added a 3-pointer that put the Eagles up by 10, 66-56 with 3:40 to play.
James Jones had 21 points and 10 rebounds and Darius Rice had 13 points and 10 boards for Miami (10-11, 3-7). The Hurricanes lost for the fourth time in six games to fall into last place in the conference’s East Division, putting them in danger of being left out of the 12-team Big East tournament.
Bell, who was 12-for-13 from the line, has averaged just under 30 points over the last eight games, and on Wednesday he surpassed Dana Barros to become the school’s career scoring leader. Bell had 18 points in the first half, when BC shot 58 percent to take a 38-31 halftime lead.
Miami cut the deficit to two points with a 7-2 run that made it 45-43 with 14:27 left. The Hurricanes had a chance to tie, but Craig Smith stole the ball under their basket and dribbled it out before a bounce pass to Hinnant set up his lay-up and free throw.
Bell followed with a 3-pointer with 13 minutes to play that made it 51-43. After Jones hit a lay-up, Bell hit another 3.
Ismael N’Diaye converted a three-point play, but Smith scored in the lane and Ryan Sidney scored a reverse lay-up to complete the 13-5 run and give BC a 58-48 lead.
The Hurricanes will look to rebound from Saturday’s loss on Monday when they travel to Providence to take on the Friars. The Friars will be looking for revenge after the ‘Canes took their first meeting 60-57 at the Convocation Center on January 29.
After the Providence game the Hurricanes return home to battle the Georgetown Hoyas on Saturday February 22. This will be the first meeting of the season between the two teams.

Courtesy of the Sports Information Department

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Former University of Miami football and NFL star player Jonathan Vilma made a splash in South Florid ...

University of Miami tailback/fullback Trayone Gray, a popular fifth-year senior out of Miami Carol C ...

When Mother’s Day came around back in May, Keontra Smith knew it was time to unveil his college comm ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

A UM researcher has determined that children exposed to traumatic events exhibit pains that if left ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews revealed Thursday the team's schedule ...

The Canes defense is full of big names like Shaq Quarterman and Jaquan Johnson, but these players ha ...

Quick Hits gives University of Miami volleyball fans an inside scoop on the latest additions to the ...

Head coach Mark Richt, all 10 assistant coaches and more than 50 players met with the media at the N ...

The Miami Hurricanes were under the lights at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday, closing out the opening we ...