Campus Calendar and News Briefs

TODAY

LINK is hosting its LINK to the past event through Friday, Feb. 21. For more information contact 305-284-GIVE or email LINK0203@hotmail.com.

The Wellness Center is looking for the deadliest sharpshooters on campus. Who will they be? The top three men and top three women will compete for prizes ranging from PowerBar products to Hurricane Game gear. The finalists will compete at half-time of a UM basketball game. For more information and to sign-up call Jason Caroll at 305-284-8518 through Feb. 20.

WEDNESDAY FEBRUARY 19

Want your voice to be heard? Then don’t miss the Student Government Presidential Debate at 7 p.m. in the Rathskeller.

The Hispanic Scholarship Fund Scholar Chapter will hold an Alumni-Mentor Reception at 7 p.m. in the UC room 233. Direct any questions to RA8046@students.law.miami.edu.

The Dean of Enrollments is seeking students to give their reactions and suggestions regarding the advising process at UM. A discussion will be held from 2 to 3 p.m. in the Lewis Room at the Rathskeller. Participants will receive a free lunch and free UM gear. For more information, call 305-284-5718.

The Spring 2002 Leadership Institute Workshops begin with Recognizing your Resources at 1 p.m. in UC 233.

Don’t miss your chance to see UM Women’s basketball take on No. 2 UConn at 7:30 p.m. in the Convocation Center.
PRSSA general meeting at 6 pm in UC Ballroom B. Come prepared to learn about travel and PR, and don’t forget to bring your dues!

THURSDAY FEBRUARY 20

As part of this year’s inaugural Stamps Family Charitable Foundation Distinguished Visitors Series at the UM School of Music, Chairman of Harman International, Dr. Sidney Harman, will speak about Entrepreneurism in the Music Industry at 4 p.m. at the Maurice Gusman Concert Hall.

FRIDAY FEBRUARY 21

Planning on living on campus next year? Then don’t forget to pay your $250 non-refundable deposit to the cashier in the Ashe building. While you’re there, make sure you are financially registered for the semester. If everything is all set then you will receive a confirmation letter before March 3.

The National Pan-Hellenic Council will be having its annual Greek Extravaganza Step Show. The theme will be “Marveled Greeks: United for Battle.” Members of UM’s NPHC include Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc., Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc., Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc., Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc., Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc., Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc, and Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc. The show will start promptly at 8 p.m. in Gusman Concert Hall. Tickets are currently available from 12 to 2 p.m. at the UC Rock. Tickets can also be purchased from any UM NPHC member. Seats are limited and tickets will not be sold at the door so purchase yours early!

Don’t miss your chance to see one of UM’s finest students competing on the Hollywood Squares College Tournament. Stay tuned for more information.

COSO’s council presents Success is in Advertising. This interesting, fun-filled and interactive session will help you learn the tricks of the trade to increasing attendance at your events. The session takes place at 1 p.m. in UC 211.
.
Communication Week begins at 10 a.m. in the Frances L. Wolfson Building Cable Studio C. A Spotlight Session will be held examining Media Challenges: Covering A Multicultural Society. Panelists include Iscar Blanco, Reporter, BBC Latin America; Yves Colon, Director of Development, Little Haiti Housing; Deborah Ramirez, Editor, el Sentinel; Roberto Vizcon, News Director, Telemundo; Tsitsi Wakhisi, journalism professor, UM School of Communication. Moderator: Mirta Ojito, reporter, The New York Times. The event is free and open to the public.
The Three Faiths Forum began its work shortly after 9/11, the work of bringing together people of all faiths and religious traditions to promote understanding and mutual respect through education, dialogue and interaction, thus nurturing communities of peace and hope. It is the collaborative creation of its president and managing director, Joan A. Keston, and three highly regarded religious leaders: Rabbi Terry A. Bookman, spiritual leader of Temple Beth Am; Reverend Donald W. Krickbaum, Dean of Trinity Episcopal Cathedral of Miami; and Dr. Abdul Hamid Samra, Hafiz, Imam and director of the Miami Gardens Mosque. The work of the Three Faiths Forum includes holding Symposiums addressing controversial topics relevant to the Jewish, Christian and Muslim faiths. On Feb. 25 at 7 p.m. in the University Center Ballrooms come for the presentation of Symposium III: “Prejudice, One of My Best Friends Is. . .” which aims to look at the difficult balance between prejudicial attitudes or acts and the fear felt when under attack.

Kids ‘N Culture Is Looking for Volunteer Classroom Instructors! UM students are needed to work with fourth grade classes at Little River Elementary. Participating students will deliver a curriculum on “The Importance of Higher Education” every Wednesday for seven weeks, starting Feb. 19 and ending April 16. At the end of the semester, all participating classes at Little River Elementary will come to UM for a day in the life of a University student. Applications are available in the VSC, UC room 240. If you have any questions contact KidsnCulture@hotmail.com.

A student production of The Vagina Monologues will be performed at Storer Auditorium on Feb. 26 and Feb. 27 at 7 p.m. The Vagina Monologues, which was first performed off-Broadway by Eve Ensler, dives into the mystery, humor, pain, power, wisdom, outrage and excitement buried in women’s experiences. The Vagina Monologues is a part of V-Day, a global movement to end violence against women, and is sponsored by the Women’s Resource Center and Counseling Center. Proceeds from ticket sales will be donated to SafeSpace, a shelter for women and children affected by domestic violence. Tickets may be purchased in the University Center Room 236 from 9 a.m. through 4 p.m. For more information, call 305-284-5646 or email tshatley@miami.edu.

The Lowe Art Museum’s newest exhibit, Paradise Lost? Aspects of Landscape in Latin American Art, is currently on display and runs through Sunday, April 6. The exhibit represents a panoramic view of Latin American landscape, addressing both regional identity and uniqueness of individual artistic personality. This exhibition breaks new ground as it is the first time an exhibition comprehensively traces, explores and interprets stylistic, thematic and iconographic developments in Latin American art of Spanish and Portuguese speaking countries within the diverse genre of landscape. For more information, call 305-284-3535.