ISA hosts Asian student conference, places second in Cultural Showcase

The UM Indian Students Association [ISA] played host to the nationally-recognized South Asian Students Alliance [SASA] Conference, in conjunction with UF, for the first time in the history of the organization. It was the first time the conference was held in Florida.
During the three-day cultural event, speakers from all over the nation and India lectured, and Indian-influenced films such as “The Guru” and “Bend it like Beckham” were played.
“The event is about having southern Asian students come together to learn and unify,” Vivek Patel, public relations officer for ISA, said.
“It was a great experience, especially because there were so many schools there,” said sophomore Anand Patel, who worked on the SASA committee that planned the event. “We really enjoyed the whole thing.”
During their free time, students explored Orlando and attended nightly parties at places such as Hard Rock Live and the House of Blues.
“The parties were really a reward, not just about partying; in order to go to the last party you had to attend two speaker sessions,” Vivek Patel said.
The weekend was an overall success, giving the ISA and UM some great national exposure.
“The feedback has been saying that it was one of the best weekends, but that may be partly because of the weather,” Vivek Patel said.
One of the highlights of the weekend was the Cultural Showcase, a competition in which ISA came in second place.
“The weekend was so much more than a competition,” Vivek Patel said.
Overall, ISA says they are proud of their performance.
“We didn’t bring as much hype, but we brought a new taste,” Vivek Patel said. “We had a lot of beauty. It was a lot more musical, with no singing.”
Rut Vijbhatt choreographed the 16 performers for the performance, which lasted about 8 minutes.
“We kind of found out we were going to be competing at the conference at the last minute,” Anand Patel said. “Rut did a great job getting everybody ready. He had two separate tryouts for the team.”
The $2500 dollar first prize went to Emory University.
“Emory was my favorite,” Vivek Patel said. “They got the crowd in to it. The amount of energy they brought in made you want to get out of your seat.”
If you haven’t had a chance to see ISA perform, visit their website at www.um-isa.com.
“This was the first time ISA participated in this competition,” Aruna Airan, advisor to ISA, said. “Their performance was really impressive.”
“We are looking forward to next year,” Airan said.

Leigha Taber can be contacted at l.taber@umiami.edu

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...