UM Idol winner drops Cane Records

If you were saving your cash for Matt Feld’s new CD, go buy something else.
Matt Feld, winner of Cane Records’ UM Idol competition last November, declined the title after reading the contract Cane Records presented him.
“It had nothing to offer me,” Feld said of the contract.
The contract promised to organize, fund and market at least one
six-song CD for Feld in exchange for five percent of the profits of his next five albums.
Although five percent is a reasonable percentage for a record label to claim, Feld says that the number of albums Cane Records wanted to claim that particular percentage on worried him.
Cane Records has produced and marketed several bands and artists in the past, including Burk, a UM student rapper with a positive message.
No previous artists reported a problem with the contract Cane Records offered.
Although he looked forward to making a short recording of both original and cover songs when he originally entered the contest, Feld maintains that he would have gained nothing from a deal with Cane Records.
“When I looked at the contract, I looked at what it was offering me; [Then I thought], is signing this contract really to my benefit?” Feld said.
Feld also said that he is not willing to negotiate.
“The contract was so stupid and ridiculous that I didn’t even want to waste my time negotiating; it was that bad,” he said.
Cane Records could not be reached for comment.
Meanwhile, Feld plans to write more songs, to continue studying at the UM school of music vocal jazz program and to begin working on a solo project of his own in hopes of getting a bigger label to pick him up.
“I’m working on my own project and getting my own stuff together to present to the labels,” Feld said.
No plans have been made as yet to offer the contract to a UM Idol runner-up.
Cane Records had hoped to run the UM Idol competition every other year, but plans may change since the initial run wasn’t successful.
The Miami Hurricane will continue to follow-up on this issue throughout the course of the semester.

Jaclyn Lisenby can be contacted at jlisenby2001@yahoo.com

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

The University of Miami connects scholarship recipients with the donors who helped make their educat ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

The University of Miami got off to a dream start at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships Wedn ...

The sophomore first baseman smashed two homers to help power Canes to 4-0 start. ...

The University of Miami track and field team is set to compete at the 2019 ACC Indoor Track and Fiel ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...