Sports Briefs

Women’s tennis
Sophomore Megan Bradley clinched the 4-3 win for the No. 21-ranked Miami women’s tennis team over No. 45 Baylor Saturday afternoon in Waco, Texas. The Hurricanes remain undefeated on the season improving to 3-0 overall, while Baylor falls to 1-3 on the season. Bradley won the first set 6-2 over No. 43 Vida Mulec before losing the second set 7-5. She clinched the win for Miami winning the third set 6-4. The Hurricanes were down 1-0 in the match losing the doubles point with losses at No. 2 and No. 3 doubles. Melissa Applebaum tied the match one-all as she defeated Barbora Blahutiakova in straight sets 6-4, 6-1 at the No. 4 singles spot. Baylor took the 2-1 lead as Izabella Mijic defeated Sihem Bennacer 6-1, 6-4 at No. 6 singles. Mari Toro tied the match for the second time at two-all with a straight set 6-3, 6-3 victory over Anna Moncolova at No. 2 singles. The Bears took their final lead on the day as Daria Potapova earned a 6-3, 6-4 victory over Ewelina Skaza at the No. 5 spot. Staci Stevens tied the match three-all with a three set victory over Stephanie Balzert 6-1, 5-7, 6-4 at No. 3 singles. The Hurricanes face No. 12 Texas at 2 p.m. EST Sunday afternoon in Austin, Texas.

Women’s track and field
University of Miami sophomore Amber Williams won the pentathlon with a school-record total of 3,529 points at the State Farms Games in Morgantown, WV. Williams, who broke her own school-mark of 3,511 points set at last season’s Big East Indoor Championships, crushed the field defeating second-place finisher Nancy Regalbulto by 360 points. Williams won two of the five events finishing first in the 55-meter hurdles (8.40) and long jump (5.39 meters/17-08.25), and took second in the high jump (1.56 meters/5-01.25). In addition, Williams recorded a personal-best mark of 10.08 meters (33-01.00) in the shot put. The remainder of the Hurricanes women’s track and field team will compete Sunday, February 9 at the Gator Invitational in Gainesville, FL.

Football
The University of Miami football program has received a National Letter of Intent from defensive lineman Teraz McCray of Pompano Beach (Fla.) Ely High School to attend UM on a football scholarship, head football coach Larry Coker announced. McCray’s signing moves the Hurricanes’ total of 2003 football signees to 24 as McCray joins the group of 23 student-athletes who signed letters of intent to play football for the Hurricanes on Wednesday. Traditionally a program that recruits heavily in South Florida while also scanning the nation for top talent, Miami stayed true to that tradition this year. The Hurricanes signed 18 players from the state of Florida including 17 from the Greater Miami area. Miami maintained its status as a national recruiter as the class was geographically diverse with signees from five different states. Two players from Texas, two players from New Jersey and one player each from California and Louisiana had signed on to the Hurricanes football squad. The group includes three Parade All-Americans and 11 SuperPrep All-Americans.

At their best, they are UM’s most dynamic players on each side of the ball. But the Ahmmon Richards ...

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...