SEBASTIAN: A LOOK AT HIS PAST TWENTY-FIVE YEARS

The ibis, a local marsh bird, was considered UM’s first unofficial mascot when the school yearbook adopted the name “Ibis” in 1926. Its popularity grew among the students during the 1950s. In 1957, San Sebastian Hall, a residence hall on campus, sponsored an Ibis entry into the homecoming celebration. The next year, student John Stormont performed at various games in an Ibis costume that was glued, sewn and pinned loosely. It became the original Sebastian costume, and it has gone through many changes in the years since.
Born 1957

University of Miami President Julio Frenk and Miami-Dade Public Schools Superintendent Alberto Carva

Experts in the Department of Political Science’s 2020 election class explain why all eyes may be on

The Frost School of Music’s Band of the Hour discovers new ways to deliver school spirit at the Hard

Lauren Markwith played four years with Miami Hurricanes soccer. Now, she is on staff for Inter Miami

Sierra Domb uses her communications skills to raise awareness of and funding for studies on a sensor