News Briefs

Rumors have it that Luc Besson, French director of such cult hits as The Big Blue and The Professional, is set to direct Rambo 4. We wanna see bigger guns, chicks with big tits plus ammunition belts wrapped across their chests and a lead that can articulate and, hence, intimidate, when he speaks. Sorry Sly, you’re getting too old anyway.

Publishing tycoon Random House has picked Florida-based writer Mark Winegardner to pen the next Godfather novel, a sequel to Mario Puzo’s 1969 book that sold over 20 million copies and spawned a trilogy of successful films about the Corleone family. Winegardner has written The Veracruz Blues and Crooked River Burning and plans of finishing the book by the end of next year.

The Doors’ keyboardist Ray Manzarek and guitarist Robby Krieger organized a reunion concert near L.A. with singer Ian Astbury, formerly of The Cult, and The Police’s drummer Stewart Copeland. The show struck controversy when the ’60s rock group’s drummer, John Densmore (who didn’t play because of “principles” and ear problems) filed a lawsuit against the band, and acerbically made the sarcastic remark that they could be named The Hinges or The Windows instead of The Doors. Morrison would be proud.

George Lucas, creator of the Star Wars series, is building a $300 million special effects facility for his film company, which will be based in San Francisco. He hopes to rival the filmmaking bastion of Hollywood next door.

The Electric Circus Tour is on: Common is headlining and it will also feature Gang Starr, who are dropping their new album, The Ownerz, in March, as well as Talib Kweli and Grammy-nominated duo Floetry (who, we think, are completely overrated). The tour kicks off February 26, in Washington D.C., but no shows are scheduled for Florida just yet.

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...

Miami's schedule features seven matches against teams that reached the NCAA Championship. ...