News Briefs

Rumors have it that Luc Besson, French director of such cult hits as The Big Blue and The Professional, is set to direct Rambo 4. We wanna see bigger guns, chicks with big tits plus ammunition belts wrapped across their chests and a lead that can articulate and, hence, intimidate, when he speaks. Sorry Sly, you’re getting too old anyway.

Publishing tycoon Random House has picked Florida-based writer Mark Winegardner to pen the next Godfather novel, a sequel to Mario Puzo’s 1969 book that sold over 20 million copies and spawned a trilogy of successful films about the Corleone family. Winegardner has written The Veracruz Blues and Crooked River Burning and plans of finishing the book by the end of next year.

The Doors’ keyboardist Ray Manzarek and guitarist Robby Krieger organized a reunion concert near L.A. with singer Ian Astbury, formerly of The Cult, and The Police’s drummer Stewart Copeland. The show struck controversy when the ’60s rock group’s drummer, John Densmore (who didn’t play because of “principles” and ear problems) filed a lawsuit against the band, and acerbically made the sarcastic remark that they could be named The Hinges or The Windows instead of The Doors. Morrison would be proud.

George Lucas, creator of the Star Wars series, is building a $300 million special effects facility for his film company, which will be based in San Francisco. He hopes to rival the filmmaking bastion of Hollywood next door.

The Electric Circus Tour is on: Common is headlining and it will also feature Gang Starr, who are dropping their new album, The Ownerz, in March, as well as Talib Kweli and Grammy-nominated duo Floetry (who, we think, are completely overrated). The tour kicks off February 26, in Washington D.C., but no shows are scheduled for Florida just yet.

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...