News Briefs

Rumors have it that Luc Besson, French director of such cult hits as The Big Blue and The Professional, is set to direct Rambo 4. We wanna see bigger guns, chicks with big tits plus ammunition belts wrapped across their chests and a lead that can articulate and, hence, intimidate, when he speaks. Sorry Sly, you’re getting too old anyway.

Publishing tycoon Random House has picked Florida-based writer Mark Winegardner to pen the next Godfather novel, a sequel to Mario Puzo’s 1969 book that sold over 20 million copies and spawned a trilogy of successful films about the Corleone family. Winegardner has written The Veracruz Blues and Crooked River Burning and plans of finishing the book by the end of next year.

The Doors’ keyboardist Ray Manzarek and guitarist Robby Krieger organized a reunion concert near L.A. with singer Ian Astbury, formerly of The Cult, and The Police’s drummer Stewart Copeland. The show struck controversy when the ’60s rock group’s drummer, John Densmore (who didn’t play because of “principles” and ear problems) filed a lawsuit against the band, and acerbically made the sarcastic remark that they could be named The Hinges or The Windows instead of The Doors. Morrison would be proud.

George Lucas, creator of the Star Wars series, is building a $300 million special effects facility for his film company, which will be based in San Francisco. He hopes to rival the filmmaking bastion of Hollywood next door.

The Electric Circus Tour is on: Common is headlining and it will also feature Gang Starr, who are dropping their new album, The Ownerz, in March, as well as Talib Kweli and Grammy-nominated duo Floetry (who, we think, are completely overrated). The tour kicks off February 26, in Washington D.C., but no shows are scheduled for Florida just yet.

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

It would be hard to blame Avery Huff for rethinking his commitment to the Miami Hurricanes right now ...

The losses keep coming for Miami Hurricanes football and Mark Richt. And this feels like the biggest ...

The University of Miami is losing the architect of one of the nation’s best defenses. UM defensive c ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

A UM medical team has released the first report of acute symptoms and clinical findings in 25 person ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...