Culture

News Briefs

Rumors have it that Luc Besson, French director of such cult hits as The Big Blue and The Professional, is set to direct Rambo 4. We wanna see bigger guns, chicks with big tits plus ammunition belts wrapped across their chests and a lead that can articulate and, hence, intimidate, when he speaks. Sorry Sly, you’re getting too old anyway.

Publishing tycoon Random House has picked Florida-based writer Mark Winegardner to pen the next Godfather novel, a sequel to Mario Puzo’s 1969 book that sold over 20 million copies and spawned a trilogy of successful films about the Corleone family. Winegardner has written The Veracruz Blues and Crooked River Burning and plans of finishing the book by the end of next year.

The Doors’ keyboardist Ray Manzarek and guitarist Robby Krieger organized a reunion concert near L.A. with singer Ian Astbury, formerly of The Cult, and The Police’s drummer Stewart Copeland. The show struck controversy when the ’60s rock group’s drummer, John Densmore (who didn’t play because of “principles” and ear problems) filed a lawsuit against the band, and acerbically made the sarcastic remark that they could be named The Hinges or The Windows instead of The Doors. Morrison would be proud.

George Lucas, creator of the Star Wars series, is building a $300 million special effects facility for his film company, which will be based in San Francisco. He hopes to rival the filmmaking bastion of Hollywood next door.

The Electric Circus Tour is on: Common is headlining and it will also feature Gang Starr, who are dropping their new album, The Ownerz, in March, as well as Talib Kweli and Grammy-nominated duo Floetry (who, we think, are completely overrated). The tour kicks off February 26, in Washington D.C., but no shows are scheduled for Florida just yet.

The gallery celebrated Hispanic Heritage Month with a virtual event that paired works of art from it

Felicia Knaul, an international health economist and expert in health systems and social sectors, is

Stephen A. Schwarzman, co-founder of the investment firm Blackstone, shared insights on the economy

Rosenstiel School researcher Katharine Mach, who studies the response and adaptation to changing cli

As the battle to contain wildfires continues, so does the debate as to how much climate change is ex