End of an era for UM swim team

The University of Miami men’s and women’s swimming teams competed in their final dual meet of the season Saturday at the Norman Whitten Pool when they took on Indian River Community College.
The women’s team routed Indian River 158-92, while the men’s side, with only one swimmer competing, fell 86-8.
“On the women’s side we won almost every event,” coach James Sweeney said. “Everyone swam really well for this time of the year.”
The meet also highlighted the end of an era for men’s swimming at UM as Bjorn Boquist competed for the last time in his career. Four years ago, the University of Miami began a process in which men’s swimming and diving would be phased out of the athletics program. Boquist was competing as the last male swimmer for the University of Miami.
“I’m sure it’s on everyone’s mind, having this as the last dual meet ever for the men’s team,” Sweeney said. “But Bjorn did really well, he represented the University and the men’s team proudly.”
“I guess it kind of makes me feel good in a way (to be the last men’s swimmer) because I stuck it out through all of the hard work,” Boquist said.
Although he did not qualify for the Big East Conference Championship with a 100-yard backstroke time of 55.27, Boquist did swim his lifetime best in the event.
“I did everything I could to try and make it so I’m happy my effort even though it didn’t pan out,” Boquist said. “I swam with my fastest time ever and that’s how I’m going to go out and I’m happy about that.”
The team also said goodbye to its senior women’s swimmers including Meghan Clabby , Megan Kinsella, Elaine Schwartz , and Christine Williams.
“It’s a great class that we’re letting go,” Sweeney said. “They’ve done a tremendous job for the team. Not just in the water, but in the classroom as well. They’re great young women and they’ll be very successful in anything they try after they’re finished here.”
Schwartz won the 1000-yard freestyle event with a time of 10:32.09 and also placed first in the 100 butterfly with 58.61. Clabby won the 100 breaststroke with 1:06.73 and the 200 breast with 2:25.08. Manon Van Rooijen took the 50 free with 24.78 and the 500 free with 5:12:30. Tammy Watts won the 200 back in 2:07.33. The Hurricanes also won the 200 medley relay.
Williams placed second in the 500 free. Gema Crespo placed second in the 50 free (25.15) and also in the 100 free (55.03). Kinsella placed third in the 200 breast (2:26.33).

-Compiled by the Sports Information Department

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM coach Manny Diaz took his staff to the Florida Keys on Tuesday evening to visit with famous Keys ...

Dominic Mammarelli didn’t only commit to the Miami Hurricanes because of Mark Richt and his old staf ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The Shelley family shares their story of four generations at the University of Miami. ...

Mark Rowlands, a University of Miami professor who adopted and raised a wolf-dog cub, observed the s ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

The No. 15 Miami women's tennis team is set to open league competition Saturday afternoon with ...

ACC unveils opponents for 20-game conference schedules for next three seasons. ...

Miami tops Clemson 65-64, as Johnson hits game-winner with 0.4 seconds remaining. ...

The Miami women's tennis team ascended two spots in this week's Oracle/ITA team rankings a ...