End of an era for UM swim team

The University of Miami men’s and women’s swimming teams competed in their final dual meet of the season Saturday at the Norman Whitten Pool when they took on Indian River Community College.
The women’s team routed Indian River 158-92, while the men’s side, with only one swimmer competing, fell 86-8.
“On the women’s side we won almost every event,” coach James Sweeney said. “Everyone swam really well for this time of the year.”
The meet also highlighted the end of an era for men’s swimming at UM as Bjorn Boquist competed for the last time in his career. Four years ago, the University of Miami began a process in which men’s swimming and diving would be phased out of the athletics program. Boquist was competing as the last male swimmer for the University of Miami.
“I’m sure it’s on everyone’s mind, having this as the last dual meet ever for the men’s team,” Sweeney said. “But Bjorn did really well, he represented the University and the men’s team proudly.”
“I guess it kind of makes me feel good in a way (to be the last men’s swimmer) because I stuck it out through all of the hard work,” Boquist said.
Although he did not qualify for the Big East Conference Championship with a 100-yard backstroke time of 55.27, Boquist did swim his lifetime best in the event.
“I did everything I could to try and make it so I’m happy my effort even though it didn’t pan out,” Boquist said. “I swam with my fastest time ever and that’s how I’m going to go out and I’m happy about that.”
The team also said goodbye to its senior women’s swimmers including Meghan Clabby , Megan Kinsella, Elaine Schwartz , and Christine Williams.
“It’s a great class that we’re letting go,” Sweeney said. “They’ve done a tremendous job for the team. Not just in the water, but in the classroom as well. They’re great young women and they’ll be very successful in anything they try after they’re finished here.”
Schwartz won the 1000-yard freestyle event with a time of 10:32.09 and also placed first in the 100 butterfly with 58.61. Clabby won the 100 breaststroke with 1:06.73 and the 200 breast with 2:25.08. Manon Van Rooijen took the 50 free with 24.78 and the 500 free with 5:12:30. Tammy Watts won the 200 back in 2:07.33. The Hurricanes also won the 200 medley relay.
Williams placed second in the 500 free. Gema Crespo placed second in the 50 free (25.15) and also in the 100 free (55.03). Kinsella placed third in the 200 breast (2:26.33).

-Compiled by the Sports Information Department

Frost School of Music’s faculty and staff members and students utilize their talents to help unify t

Rudy Fernandez, senior vice president for public affairs and communications at the University of Mia

Hope is an elusive concept, but it is a crucial feeling to hold on to at a time of crisis. During th

Members of the Muslim Students of the University of Miami celebrate the holy month while adhering to

A University of Miami faculty member offers tips on how to preserve healthy work-life practices as w