End of an era for UM swim team

The University of Miami men’s and women’s swimming teams competed in their final dual meet of the season Saturday at the Norman Whitten Pool when they took on Indian River Community College.
The women’s team routed Indian River 158-92, while the men’s side, with only one swimmer competing, fell 86-8.
“On the women’s side we won almost every event,” coach James Sweeney said. “Everyone swam really well for this time of the year.”
The meet also highlighted the end of an era for men’s swimming at UM as Bjorn Boquist competed for the last time in his career. Four years ago, the University of Miami began a process in which men’s swimming and diving would be phased out of the athletics program. Boquist was competing as the last male swimmer for the University of Miami.
“I’m sure it’s on everyone’s mind, having this as the last dual meet ever for the men’s team,” Sweeney said. “But Bjorn did really well, he represented the University and the men’s team proudly.”
“I guess it kind of makes me feel good in a way (to be the last men’s swimmer) because I stuck it out through all of the hard work,” Boquist said.
Although he did not qualify for the Big East Conference Championship with a 100-yard backstroke time of 55.27, Boquist did swim his lifetime best in the event.
“I did everything I could to try and make it so I’m happy my effort even though it didn’t pan out,” Boquist said. “I swam with my fastest time ever and that’s how I’m going to go out and I’m happy about that.”
The team also said goodbye to its senior women’s swimmers including Meghan Clabby , Megan Kinsella, Elaine Schwartz , and Christine Williams.
“It’s a great class that we’re letting go,” Sweeney said. “They’ve done a tremendous job for the team. Not just in the water, but in the classroom as well. They’re great young women and they’ll be very successful in anything they try after they’re finished here.”
Schwartz won the 1000-yard freestyle event with a time of 10:32.09 and also placed first in the 100 butterfly with 58.61. Clabby won the 100 breaststroke with 1:06.73 and the 200 breast with 2:25.08. Manon Van Rooijen took the 50 free with 24.78 and the 500 free with 5:12:30. Tammy Watts won the 200 back in 2:07.33. The Hurricanes also won the 200 medley relay.
Williams placed second in the 500 free. Gema Crespo placed second in the 50 free (25.15) and also in the 100 free (55.03). Kinsella placed third in the 200 breast (2:26.33).

-Compiled by the Sports Information Department

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...