Culture

News Briefs

Tonight
Boogie down with Revolver at Soho Lounge, 175-193 NE 36th St., Miami: party with Douglas Road and hit up the CD release parties for indie rapper K-OS, Jimmy Marr and the Healers, and DJ ME DJ YOU. 305-576-1988.

Churchill’s (5501 NE 2nd Ave., Miami) is pumping tonight with Gayle Ritt, Soul Machine, Overbored and Carnival Waste. Show starts at 7 p.m. Cover varies. 305-757-1807.

Saturday, February 8
The Marleys, George Clinton with 420 Funk Mob, Steel Pulse and others at Marley Fest, 305 Biscayne Blvd. 305-740-7344.

Life & Art and Rock Star Energy Drinks present “Cabin 5 Billion,” the largest house party in UM history. See feature story in this edition. Is this really happening? Yes.

Are you one of those obsessed fans of reality TV? If you are, then you’re in luck: NBC is auditioning “attractive singles” for “Meet My Folks” today and tomorrow, 8 a.m.-6 p.m at Doubletree Surfcomber1717 Collins Ave., Miami Beach. Call Zach Johnson at 310-562-9497.

There’s a funky-ass smell in the air and, besides the appearance of George Clinton and 420 Funk Mob at Marley Fest, it’s also going down at Mardi Gras Madness, along the first four blocks of Clematis Street, West Palm Beach, with Funky Blues Messiahs, ZYDECO-A-GO-GO and Night Train from Jupiter. Starts at 6 p.m. 05-659-5980.

Thursday, February 13
Wolf down frozen cocktails with Jimmy Buffet at the American Airlines Arena, 601 Biscayne Blvd., Miami. $39-$59.

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges, a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department, has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...

The Jan. 6 Capitol insurrection has given social scientists and psychologists another example to examine the behavior and actions of groups. ...

Some experts believe that pent-up demand will push the economy into a rebound after the majority of the U.S. population receives the COVID-19 vaccine. ...

All students are required to test negative for COVID-19 before attending any in-person classes, programs, or work shifts on any University of Miami campus. With the start of classes Monday, here is the critical information students need to know. ...