Cheetahs, cannibals and lots of flesh: A Bettie Page photo exhibit

Do you go to a lot of art galleries? I sure don’t; well, probably more than you do. Anyway, tangents aside, here’s something for you to sink your eyes into: Naked Chicks!

Ok, if you’re making the proper connections, you should be interested by now. Hold on.

Outside of the Design District, another part of Miami’s burgeoning art scene has popped up across Taco Bell on 125th Street (pretty scary, huh?). Once my eyes pulled away from the bubble-letters blaring “Classic Gordita for only 89 cents!” (appropriately emblazoned with an American flag pattern), the Museum of Contemporary Art led me across the street to the gallery of Javogue & Ingalls, but perhaps even more importantly: to Naked Chicks!

One of the owner/operators of the gallery, Chris Ingalls, arranges showings (by appointment only) of her current exhibition, Bunny Yeager: Bettie Page in Africa, USA, a collection of pin-up style photos from the 50’s. The show has been running since Art Basel (back in December) and has a week left. The point, Ingalls informed me, was to provide the “orange juice” as an alternative to the “champagne” of Art Basel; holy mimosa. As much as I wanted to spend my time in the gallery studying the intricacies of the nipples and the curves of the butt on the nudes, I couldn’t help but take in the pictures as a whole.

If you don’t know who Bettie Page is, you’re probably around my age and far more concerned with coming up with a good line to tell that girl from “Knight’s Tale” for your imaginary date tonight (yeah, even if you didn’t see the movie, you know what I’m talking about). Back to the point, Bunny Yeager’s photos are sensual, not smutty. Somehow nostalgia makes everything seem nicer with each new calendar that’s hung up. Yeager’s work is no exception.

It’s hard to sound intelligent while talking about something that your dad probably hid under his bed, but that’s no reason not to try. So, without further delay, hold onto your butt cheeks, take a deep breath, close your eyes… woops…umm…

So, all these photos are from a shoot back in ’54, when Bunny and Bettie scampered through Miami and Boca, respectively armed with the proper equipment-a camera and a voluptuous body-and scantily covered by leopard-print bikinis. While the premise of the story behind the pictures is ridiculous (a woman plays with animals in Africa until an African chief detains her, then threatens to eat her if she doesn’t become his queen), the images captured are not. Each photograph is taken from the original black and white negatives, either colored or left alone and printed on archival paper, giving them a real air of authenticity. Even more authentic is the fact that Bunny still lives in Florida, right near the gallery.

With a career of legitimizing pin-up photography spanning more than fifty years, Bunny has hopped into the hearts of nostalgic horn-balls and humdrum Homo sapiens alike. Call up and schedule an appointment soon, but don’t forget to bring your dad.

Bunny Yeager’s photographs are on view at Javogue & Ingalls Fine Art, 771 NE 125th St., North Miami, through Feb. 15. Call (305) 981 7900.

Sven Barth can be reached at big_sven@hotmail.com

At their best, they are UM’s most dynamic players on each side of the ball. But the Ahmmon Richards ...

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...