Another road setback for ‘Canes

‘Canes squander major opportunity
The University of Miami women’s basketball team (13-7, 5-4 Big East) was unable to hold a 12-point second half lead Tuesday night, falling to the host Rutgers (13-5, 6-2 Big East), 65-56 at the Louis Brown Athletic Center in Piscataway, N.J.
The Scarlet Knights trailed by 12 points (41-29) with 15:22 left, but went on a 22-4 run over the next 7:03 to gain a 51-50 lead with 8:19 remaining. Rutgers outscored Miami 36-15 over the final 15 minutes, as sophomore point guard Cappie Pondexter scored 19 of her 21 points in the second half.
In the losing effort, the one bright spot for Miami continues to be the play of point guard Yalonda McCormick. The sophomore posted a team-high 20 points on 8-18 shooting. McCormick’s stellar play neutralized another off night for freshman Tamara James. The Miami native was only able to attempt nine shots against the Scarlett Knights defense, converting on four of them. James finished with 14 points and seven rebounds.
Pondexter’s 21 points led the Scarlet Knights and she also contributed six rebounds and seven assists. One of the keys to the victory was the play of sophomore forward Mariota Theodoris as she came off the bench to record a season-high nine points and tie her career high with eight rebounds. She also hit some clutch free throws in the second half, going 5-of-6 (.833) from the line.
As a team, Rutgers shot 68 percent from the line, but hit their free throws when they counted, converting on 13 of 17 opportunities in the second half. Miami also posted a 68 percent clip from the charity stripe, but after missing just two free throws in ten attempts during the first 20 minutes, the ‘Lady Canes could only muster a 60 percent clip in the second half.
Rutgers led just once in the first half, trailing by as many as nine before Mauri Horton hit a jumper to cut the lead to 32-25 at the half. Miami came out strong in the second half and built the lead to 12, the biggest lead of the game, before Rutgers mounted their comeback.
Horton finished the game with seven points, while junior Dawn McCullouch added 11 points and three rebounds. Shalicia Hurns pulled down 11 rebounds and added eight points.
The ‘Lady Canes return to action tomorrow afternoon when the team takes on St. John’s at the Conovcation Center. The Red Storm has struggled in Big East play this season, winning just two of their first 10 conference games.
Compiled by the Sports Information Department

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...

Head coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the ninth annual Miami Women's Basketball Fantasy Ca ...

The yearly Miami Fall Invite will take place Friday through Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center, ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...