World culture is illuminated with the Miami Light Project

The Miami Light Project, a non-profit cultural organization that showcases live performances by artist internationally, might illuminate your mind if you give it a try. Their current show at the Gusman Center of the Arts, a medley of dancers, musicians, and comedians, featured a striking performance by Salia Ni Seydou of Burkina Faso, Africa.
A spiritual journey began as soon as the lights dimmed and the African instruments played in the background, therein setting a melodious tone. Surprisingly, the African sounds soon faded and this is what made the show particularly intriguing–there was hardly any music, the bodies created the music themselves. It was a play of dance with no plot, yet with emotional climaxes.
At one point, a performer was bent over with his feet grounded, his back arched, resting on one hand. He seemed completely unbalanced. The whole crowd stared in disbelief as seconds later another performer jumped into a handstand on his back and remained poised on the one hand–all acrobatic feats that flaunted their flexibility, making them almost seem like alien beings. While at times they performed like ballerinas, their movements often seemed like cryptic seizures.
Salia Ni Seydou represented only one of the many types of artists than can be found in the Miami Light Project collection. It hosts performances all year round and has been giving artists international exposure since 1989. In addition to the Contemporary Performance Series which has brought over 300 world-renowned artists to Miami, their other programs include Here and Now, for instance, which presents and tours the work of Miami- based performance and media artists. All in all, this company projects light on city whose provisions for cultural arts have sometimes been declared to be subdued.

Latisha Rowe can be reached at misange@hotmail.com.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...