World culture is illuminated with the Miami Light Project

The Miami Light Project, a non-profit cultural organization that showcases live performances by artist internationally, might illuminate your mind if you give it a try. Their current show at the Gusman Center of the Arts, a medley of dancers, musicians, and comedians, featured a striking performance by Salia Ni Seydou of Burkina Faso, Africa.
A spiritual journey began as soon as the lights dimmed and the African instruments played in the background, therein setting a melodious tone. Surprisingly, the African sounds soon faded and this is what made the show particularly intriguing–there was hardly any music, the bodies created the music themselves. It was a play of dance with no plot, yet with emotional climaxes.
At one point, a performer was bent over with his feet grounded, his back arched, resting on one hand. He seemed completely unbalanced. The whole crowd stared in disbelief as seconds later another performer jumped into a handstand on his back and remained poised on the one hand–all acrobatic feats that flaunted their flexibility, making them almost seem like alien beings. While at times they performed like ballerinas, their movements often seemed like cryptic seizures.
Salia Ni Seydou represented only one of the many types of artists than can be found in the Miami Light Project collection. It hosts performances all year round and has been giving artists international exposure since 1989. In addition to the Contemporary Performance Series which has brought over 300 world-renowned artists to Miami, their other programs include Here and Now, for instance, which presents and tours the work of Miami- based performance and media artists. All in all, this company projects light on city whose provisions for cultural arts have sometimes been declared to be subdued.

Latisha Rowe can be reached at misange@hotmail.com.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...

The University of Miami soccer team closes out action in the Tar Heel state with a match against thi ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami Hurricanes fell in their tri-meet with Georgia Tech and Notre Dame Saturday afternoon, dro ...