Not another devastating loss to humanity…

In the wake of yet another tragedy, Americans are once again in shock and mourning.
Columbia’s ill-fated journey further compounds the grief we’ve shared as a country over our losses on September 11, 2001 and the impending war with Iraq. Unfortunately, this mission was so understated most Americans didn’t even know what was going on – until it was over. I certainly had no idea.
In these times, the first speculation is terrorism, and while officials were quick to dispel such rumors, I have to wonder if maybe it would be better if this terrible disaster could be somehow attributed to yet another terrorist act against our country. Perhaps if that were the case we could find some sort of logic, some sort of consistency in this most recent travesty.
Of course, it won’t bring back the husbands and fathers, wives and mothers involved. Of course, it won’t help to numb the pain induced by such a sudden and unexpected devastation. However, I would think “technical failure” is hardly a substantial excuse for eliminating seven valuable lives forever. What do you do about “technical failure?”
At least if it were related to some acts of human design, retribution could be sought, debts could be paid, and closure could be expected – but “technical failure”? How could things go so terribly wrong? How can we, as a nation, cope once again with the unexplained, the unprecedented, the unmerited misfortune? Why do we have to endure one more random moment of tragedy? Haven’t we been through enough?
If it were terrorist-related, we could have someone to blame. If it were terrorist-related, we would have a direction to focus our anger. But if it’s not, the pain of those left behind has nowhere to manifest except in the graveyard of uncertainty where no closure can be sought.
How do we explain why bad things happen to good people? And where do we turn when no explanation can be sought? Our own technical failure is our compelling need for reasons; our unrelenting quest for answers; for anything to make certain unfortunate circumstances make sense or have some kind of purpose.
But maybe that’s just it – maybe the purpose is something too great for us to know or understand at this time; and just perhaps, if we stop trying to explain the unexplainable we can find some sort of closure in this chaos of distress.

Whitney W. Friedrich is a senior majoring in Advertising and English. She can be contacted at witz615@aol.com.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...

The University of Miami soccer team closes out action in the Tar Heel state with a match against thi ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami Hurricanes fell in their tri-meet with Georgia Tech and Notre Dame Saturday afternoon, dro ...