Culture

News Briefs

Rob Zombie promoted his first flick, House of 1000 Corpses (which is set to hit theatres on March 28), at the Comic Book and Pop Culture Convention at the Pasadena Center in California this past weekend. By making this appearance, the fright-rocker wants to legitimize himself as a credible writer/director.

A new spy thriller, The Recruit, starring Al Pacino and Colin Farrell, debuted at No. 1 in the box office, grossing $16.5 million in its first weekend. It was followed by Final Destination 2–a horror film about death lurking around young people on Spring Break–with $16.2 million, according to studio estimates.

A group of notable American poets, invited to the White House poetry symposium on Feb. 12, were planning to use the event to criticize the administration’s policies towards Iraq. However, when the First Lady heard of this, the occasion was indefinitely adjourned.

Controversial Russian lesbian duo, Tatu, have recently topped the British singles charts, wearing racy school uniforms in their video, while kissing and cuddling. The music group’s been accused of “targeting the dirty old man market” and of “pedophile porn” by child protection agencies and British TV hosts.

Dirty South rapper Juvenile got busted again: the MC and friends were arrested from a Lincoln Town Car during a traffic stop in New Orleans and were charged with possession of marijuana and cocaine. In the past, Juvenile’s been charged with aggravated battery with a bottle, battery on a law enforcement officer, simple battery when he punched his barber, two counts of disorderly conduct and resisting arrest in Miami.

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges, a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department, has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...

The Jan. 6 Capitol insurrection has given social scientists and psychologists another example to examine the behavior and actions of groups. ...

Some experts believe that pent-up demand will push the economy into a rebound after the majority of the U.S. population receives the COVID-19 vaccine. ...

All students are required to test negative for COVID-19 before attending any in-person classes, programs, or work shifts on any University of Miami campus. With the start of classes Monday, here is the critical information students need to know. ...