It’s time to stop pretending that France is a friend

France is not our friend.
It can be stated no simpler than that. For as long as I can remember, despite claiming to be our ally, France has nevertheless acted in a publicly hostile way towards the United States. Reminding them of the thousands of Americans, who twice in the last century shed blood and died on French battlefields in order to keep France free, only seems to embolden their resentment. It’s as if for a Frenchman to recollect that his nation had to have its ass pulled out of the fire twice because of its own incompetence is akin to claiming that he’s child molester or something.
Experts familiar with those, as the National Review’s Jonah Goldberg so eloquently put it, “cheese-eating surrender monkeys,” say that this continued French predilection for opposing us is merely their way of demanding the respect that they believe they are entitled. Entitled would seem to hit the mark here, since they certainly haven’t done anything to earn anyone’s respect. Of course, they would probably bring up their assistance to us in the Revolutionary War . . . as if World War I and II never happened.
Certainly, if the French don’t believe there should be a war in Iraq, I can respect that. Obviously, they aren’t alone or in the minority on that position. However, where I draw the line is in their public statements not only in opposing the US position, but also in stating that they will actively work against us. A friend doesn’t do that. A friend sits down with you and discusses or argues it with you – in private, not on TV. A friend doesn’t tell the whole world that they’re going to vote against you in the UN Security Council. Of course, how in the hell a nation that surrendered in World War II got a permanent seat on the Security Council is another question.
We should recognize this new reality by severing any defense agreements with France and calling them what they are – an adversary. They clearly hate our guts and the feeling is certainly mutual with many Americans. It’s time to end the relevance subsidy we’ve given them for over fifty years so they can finally descend into the irrelevancy that they have so richly earned.

Scott Wacholtz is a senior majoring in Computer Science.

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

It would be hard to blame Avery Huff for rethinking his commitment to the Miami Hurricanes right now ...

The losses keep coming for Miami Hurricanes football and Mark Richt. And this feels like the biggest ...

The University of Miami is losing the architect of one of the nation’s best defenses. UM defensive c ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

A UM medical team has released the first report of acute symptoms and clinical findings in 25 person ...

UM public relations students unveiled their plans to reposition March for Our Lives to attract colle ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...