Guevara was a Tyrant, and Un-American at that

Almost every day, I see a UM student around campus proudly wearing a Che Guevara T-shirt.
Leftist propaganda portrays Guevara as a “freedom fighter” and a champion of the common man. In 1954, Guevara plotted an overthrow of Cuba’s Batista Government in Mexico with then-exiled Cuban revolutionary Fidel Castro. With the successful completion of the coup, Castro’s despotic communist regime took power on January 1, 1959. Guevara was instrumental in shaping the policies of Castro’s Cuba and played a significant role in the Cuban Missile Crisis.
Guevara tried but fortunately failed to export his evil ideals through Communist revolutions in the Congo and Bolivia. Ultimately, he envisioned the spread of Communism throughout South America. With the assistance of the CIA, Guevara was captured and executed by the Bolivian Army in 1967.
Any United States citizen who accepts and lives under the inalienable human rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, yet glorifies Che Guevara-an enemy of the United States and all it stands for-is at the height of hypocrisy.
For the last forty-three years, Castro has ruled a brutal, despotic regime in Cuba. Ask any citizen of Cuba whether Guevara fought for their freedom; they’ll explain they haven’t the freedoms of speech, press, assembly and association. Political dissidents in Cuba are routinely imprisoned, tortured and executed; free and fair elections are non-existent.
Practicing of any religious faith is closely monitored and scrutinized by the regime; clergy and parishioners are subjected to harassment at the hands of government officers. The people of Cuba live in abject poverty in result of the stagnant centralized economy and the regime’s pilfering of any profits.
Furthermore, Guevara’s image dishonors the tens of thousands of U.S. soldiers who died fighting against the inherently immoral Communism system. The glorification of Che Guevara deeply insults both the Cuban exile community and anyone who believes in the ideals of democracy.

Pete Trombadore can be contacted at petetrombadore@hotmail.com.

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ If you ever wondered what the Hurricanes would look like if ...

Demetrius Jackson has come through again for his Overtown neighborhood. For the second year in a row ...

Days after praising Mark Richt, Clemson grad transfer quarterback Kelly Bryant has canceled his Frid ...

Mark Richt kept his word. On Thursday, two days before the Miami Hurricanes defeated Virginia Tech 3 ...

The season is evaporating before our eyes. And nothing made that more obvious than University of Mia ...

Erin Kobetz, director of Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center’s Firefighter Cancer Initiative, disc ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...