Guevara was a Tyrant, and Un-American at that

Almost every day, I see a UM student around campus proudly wearing a Che Guevara T-shirt.
Leftist propaganda portrays Guevara as a “freedom fighter” and a champion of the common man. In 1954, Guevara plotted an overthrow of Cuba’s Batista Government in Mexico with then-exiled Cuban revolutionary Fidel Castro. With the successful completion of the coup, Castro’s despotic communist regime took power on January 1, 1959. Guevara was instrumental in shaping the policies of Castro’s Cuba and played a significant role in the Cuban Missile Crisis.
Guevara tried but fortunately failed to export his evil ideals through Communist revolutions in the Congo and Bolivia. Ultimately, he envisioned the spread of Communism throughout South America. With the assistance of the CIA, Guevara was captured and executed by the Bolivian Army in 1967.
Any United States citizen who accepts and lives under the inalienable human rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, yet glorifies Che Guevara-an enemy of the United States and all it stands for-is at the height of hypocrisy.
For the last forty-three years, Castro has ruled a brutal, despotic regime in Cuba. Ask any citizen of Cuba whether Guevara fought for their freedom; they’ll explain they haven’t the freedoms of speech, press, assembly and association. Political dissidents in Cuba are routinely imprisoned, tortured and executed; free and fair elections are non-existent.
Practicing of any religious faith is closely monitored and scrutinized by the regime; clergy and parishioners are subjected to harassment at the hands of government officers. The people of Cuba live in abject poverty in result of the stagnant centralized economy and the regime’s pilfering of any profits.
Furthermore, Guevara’s image dishonors the tens of thousands of U.S. soldiers who died fighting against the inherently immoral Communism system. The glorification of Che Guevara deeply insults both the Cuban exile community and anyone who believes in the ideals of democracy.

Pete Trombadore can be contacted at petetrombadore@hotmail.com.

Universities are banding together to oppose a new immigration policy that could adversely impact int

The University of Miami student publications were recognized with multiple awards by the Society for

Hoping to ease hurdles for students to apply to master’s and doctoral programs, a new policy will re

Immunologist Natasa Strbo and her team are using their work on vaccines for HIV, malaria, and Zika t

Xavier Cortada leads the Miami Corona Project, an art program presented as part of the University of