Exploring the depths of female sexuality – Britney Spears need not apply

With so many young girls trying to attain a false sense of sexuality made popular by magazines, movie stars, and music icons, A.A. Rucci shows a much more realistic portrayal of femininity and sensuality. Living up to his current reputation as one of the most innovative and creative artists touring the Miami art circuit, Rucci’s works were nothing less than inspiring.

His “Headless” series, currently displayed at the Ambrosino Gallery in North Miami, shows his work from 2000 to the present. Six large acrylic paintings portray an approximately two-inch headless female figure reproduced in various poses and stages of undress, centered on a single-colored background. Each work, explicitly different in its poses and overall appeal, was drawn with meticulous detail and specific attention to the interactions between the figures. “Small works engage the viewer to observe each work intimately,” Rucci explained at his opening last Friday.

Rucci’s search for a female figure to draw eventually led him to a close friend who he felt epitomizes real-life women. Strangely, I found myself relating some paintings to members of the Spice Girls or to some other imaginary train-wreck of a girl group. Soon I was putting a face to each figure just as Rucci had expected of his viewers.

“Posh:” The most erotic of the works with figures laying or sitting with legs open and inviting. One woman’s hand is outstretched towards the sky while another’s explores the crevices of her own womanhood against a navy blue background.

“Scary:” Aggressive and wild like the ultra red canvas, women prance around holding sharp menacing objects like meat cleavers, spades, and machetes.

“Sporty:” Its grayish-blue backdrop surrounds a group of figures whose poses ooze Bob Fosse-like appeal.

Ginger:” Everyone’s favorite slut (before Christina Aguilera of course)! Sexy, alluring poses, and hands exploring each other’s bodies seem to tease the viewer amidst a deep green backdrop.

“Baby:” A virginal pink canvas surrounds a group of headless cheerleaders. The sweet seemingly innocent “Britney Spears/ Olsen twin hybrids” pose as one defiant cheerleader facing backwards bends down with legs spread just enough that her panties peak out from below her skirt. Rucci had decided his opening would be the metaphorical cherry popping of these pieces…in celebration of the Olsen twins becoming of legal age (hey, someone had to do it).

In the future, Rucci plans to make larger headless composites with up to four hundred figures on one canvas and is also thinking about creating a coloring book for adults using some of his figures.

His work is on display at the Ambrosino Gallery, 769 NE 125th St., North Miami, through Feb. 23. Call 305-891-5577 for more info.

Chris Howard can be reached at BBHMM3234@aol.com

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...