Equity law under scrutiny

U-WIRE) BLOOMINGTON, Ind. – Title IX experts said recommendations made Thursday by President Bush’s advisory commission could significantly weaken the federal law that determines gender equity in schools.
The Commission on Opportunity in Athletics’ 15 members recommended only mild changes to Title IX, the education act that prohibits gender discrimination in federally-funded public and private schools, after mulling over earlier this week two dozen proposals.
The panel voted 7-7 on a proposal allowing schools to have 50 percent male and 50 percent female athletes, regardless of student body makeup, to comply with Title IX. A proposal to eliminate Title IX’s “proportionality” requirement failed 11-4.
The commission, which met in Washington and only looked at sports, will send a report to U.S. Education Secretary Rod Paige, who will consider changes. Only Congress can fundamentally change the law, but Paige can alter the way schools have to comply to it.
In a major decision, the panel struck down 11-4 a proposal to eliminate Title IX’s “first prong,” which requires universities to closely mirror the ratio of male and female athletics to the ratio of male and female students.
The panel also recommended not counting the number of overall athletes for compliance, but establishing a predetermined number of roster spots on each team. The panel also recommended to not count walk-on athletes and nontraditional athletes.
In addition, the commission voted 8-7 against proposing surveys to determine the interest in men’s and women’s sports for determining proportionality of genders.
IU kinesiology professor Phillip Henson, a former Olympic track and field director, said he would like to see interest in individual sports taken into account when determining the number of male and female athletes.
He added that non-revenue, men’s sports teams have been cut unfairly as schools try to comply with Title IX.
As for a solution to reaching proportionality, Henson said football players shouldn’t be counted because no women’s sport recruits as many players, tipping schools toward inequality.
Title IX requires federally funded schools to meet one of three “prongs” — the school’s male-female athlete ratio to be “substantially proportionate” to its male-female student ratio, to show continuing increase in opportunities for women, or to show that it is “fully and effectively” accommodating women’s interests and abilities.
Since Title IX’s inception, the number of women participating in college sports has increased fivefold from 1971 to 2002. But about 400 men’s college teams were eliminated during the 1990s.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ Hurricanes fans aren’t the only ones exasperated by t ...

If Saturday wasn’t a turning point for N’Kosi Perry, it was maybe the start of one — at least this i ...

The question for Manny Diaz was simple, and the defensive coordinator’s answer was simple, too — sor ...

The University of Miami’s popular turnover chain was spotlighted in a promotional video for February ...

The evidence was glaring. On Monday night, Miami true freshman running back Lorenzo Lingard posted o ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

A mobile museum coming to UM this week will showcase relics of the African-American experience. ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

The Canes have two games left in the 2018 regular season and they have one goal in mind: finish the ...

2018 NCAA Tournament programs match up at 7 p.m. at Watsco Center. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team will host No. 19 Marquette in a top-25 matchup Thursda ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced the University of Miami's 2019 tra ...

The Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 24 nationally in this week's As ...