Campus Calendar and News Briefs

TODAY
Come out and party with young Arab-Americans featuring DJ Nile spinning the latest and hottest Arabic and international music at the Rathskeller. Argeela Night is from 9 p.m. to 12 a.m. Email oasisofum@yahoogroups.com.

Resident Assistant applications are due at the Department of Residence Halls Office in the North wing of Eaton Residential College by 5 p.m.

Sportsfest, the three-day competition between the residential colleges and apartment area, kicks off at the Rat at 5 p.m.

Come laugh till you cry at the Rathskeller from 8 p.m. to 12 a.m. Hurricane Productions present Belly Bust featuring Leon Rodgers.

Women’s Tennis vs. Florida Atlantic at 4 p.m. in the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.

SATURDAY FEBRUARY 1

Take a FREE GMAT, LSAT, TOEFL or MCAT practice test at Kaplan’s Test Drive. To enroll, call 305-284-0090.

Watch the Women’s Basketball team take on Villanova at 7 p.m. in the Convocation Center.

MONDAY FEBRUARY 3

Interested in a 2-Ball competition? Preliminary rounds begin today and run until Thursday at the Wellness Center. Contact Jason Caroll at 305-284-8518 to sign up.

A mandatory Student Government Elections meeting will take place from 8:30 to 9:30 p.m. in the Whitten University Center, room 211. The meeting is a mandatory referenda writing workshop as well as a candidate informational meeting.

TUESDAY FEBRUARY 4

Atlanta Public Schools will be conducting on-campus interviews.
For more information, and to submit your resume if you qualify, log on to CaneTRAK at www.miami.edu/toppel or call Toppel Career Center at 305-284-5451.

WEDNESDAY FEBRUARY 5

Missing Students: Columbine Revisited presents the Untold Story. Come hear about the extraordinary life of Rachel Scott. The program begins at 7:30 p.m. in Gusman Auditorium and is free to everybody.

Sigma Gamma Lambda hosts an informational session at 8 p.m. for all interested at the Rathskeller in the Lewis Room. For information contact ProudlyStand@yahoogroups.com

FRIDAY FEBRUARY 7

Attention all graduating seniors: the deadline to apply for May graduation is today. Applications must be done through the EASY system.

TUESDAY FEBRUARY 11

Are you in the process of selecting a major or considering a change of major? Are you possibly interested in adding a major? Toppel Career Center will have a Majors Fair from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the Whitten University Center Lower Lounge. Come talk with faculty representatives from these schools and colleges: Arts & Sciences, Business, Communication, Education and Nursing. The Pre-Law and Honors Programs will also have representatives to whom you will be able to talk.

WEDNESDAY FEBRUARY 19

The Hispanic Scholarship Fund Scholar Chapter will hold an Alumni-Mentor Reception at 7 p.m. in the UC 233. Direct any questions to RA8046@students.law.miami.edu.

FEBRUARY 17-20

The Wellness Center will be hosting preliminary rounds of a 3-Point contest. To sign up contact Jason Caroll at 305-284-8518.

Attention all international students: You are invited to Kaplan’s GMAT Thursdays. Every Thursday from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. you can take a FREE practice test. For more information call 305-284-0090.

Don’t miss TOEFL Tuesday at Kaplan, the World Leader in Test Prep. Every Tuesday you are invited to take a FREE practice test from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. For more information or to sign up call 305-284-0090.

Join the Wellness Center on Wednesday, Feb. 12 between 5 and 7 p.m. in the Atrium for Healthy Heart Day. The event will provide you with information to protect both your physical and your emotional heart.
Heart disease is the leading cause of death in the U.S. Fortunately, certain types of heart disease can be controlled, even prevented, by applying basic principles of wellness such as stress and weight management, exercise and proper nutrition. The event will include free smoothies, condoms, blood pressure screenings and body composition checks. Information will be available on nutrition, healthy relationships and preventing STDs and sexual assault. For more information, contact 305-284-6524.

Student Government applications are now available for the following positions: Student Government President, Student Government Vice-President, Student Government Treasurer, College of Arts & Sciences Senator (2 positions available), School of Business Senator, College of Engineering Senator, School of Communications Senator, School of Education Senator, School of Nursing Senator, School of Music Senator, School of Architecture Senator, Commuter North Senator, Commuter South Senator and Commuter Central Senator. Applications can be picked up in the UC room 209. You have until Friday, Feb. 9 at 5 p.m. to submit your completed application. Elections are scheduled to be held Feb. 24-26 with results being announced Feb. 27 at 5 p.m.

We The Students is a new social/political issue talk show coming to UMTV this spring. Its purpose is to raise student interest and participation on campus about those issues. It will also be a live audience show so students can come watch and participate in it by questioning the guests and panelists. Currently, the program is recruiting students for on-air panelists, production crew and a PR staff. Auditions for panelists are Monday and Tuesday, Feb. 3 and 4, in Studio C of the School of Communication from 4:30 – 6:30 pm. Be dressed in business casual attire and ready to debate the war on Iraq, abortion or the legalization of marijuana for three to five minutes. It’s your choice which issue you’ll debate at the audition.
Sign-up for the show and auditions by the front desk of the faculty offices on the second floor of the School of Communication. If interested or for more information contact Pierre Gaunaurd at 786-586-3845 or umtvwts@hotmail.com.

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...

Head coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the ninth annual Miami Women's Basketball Fantasy Ca ...

The yearly Miami Fall Invite will take place Friday through Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center, ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...