Sports Briefs

Track
UM freshman Travarous Bain(Miami Northwestern) won the 200-meters in a time of 22.02 and finished second in the 60-meters with a time of 6.87 to lead the Hurricanes men’s track and field team at the Maryland Invitational in Landover, MD.
Bain, a defensive back on the Hurricanes’ football team, was one of two Miami sprinters to finish in the top three of the event. Freshman Glen Sharpe took third with a time of 22.30.
UM dominated the 60-meters placing five runners in the top-10. Joining Bain were sophomore Tanard Davis who finished third (6.87), Terell Walden who placed sixth (6.90), Glen Sharpe who took eighth (6.93) and Roscoe Parrish who placed ninth (6.99).
On the women’s side, freshman Charlotte Greggs won the 400-meters with an NCAA provisional qualifying time of 54.30, and senior Adrienne Moss) broke school-records in the shot put (15.02m/49-03.50) and weight throw (16.22m/53-02.75) to lead the 20th-ranked Hurricanes at the Maryland Invitational.
Greggs, who provisionally qualified for the NCAA Championships in the 200-meters with a victory at the Florida Invitational last weekend, also anchored the victorious 4×400-meter relay of freshman Dominique Darden, senior All-America Jamillah Wade and junior All-American Kitoya Carter. The team’s winning time of 3:41.57 provisionally qualifies them for the NCAA Indoor Championships.
Moss, who won the shot put and finished third in the weight throw, shattered her own school mark in the shot put by nearly two feet, and surpassed the former school-record in the weight throw by three feet.
All-Americans Gina Harris and Sharianne Lawson also won events on Saturday. Lawson finished first in the 60-meter hurdles with an NCAA provisional qualifying time of 8.31, while Harris won the 60-meter dash in a time of 7.53.

Baseball
The Miami baseball team held its annual media day Thursday afternoon, as the 2003 Hurricanes and Head Coach Jim Morris addressed the upcoming season.
UM returns three everyday players from last year’s team, along with starting pitcher Dan Touchet and closer George Huguet.
“First of all the game starts with pitching,” Morris said. “You have to pitch well to win big games. You have to pitch to go to Omaha and win. We have to establish our starting rotation. We only have one returning starter in Dan Touchet, so the two, three and four spots in the rotation are open. We have to have consistency in our bullpen, particularly late with George Huguet, and whoever else is down there with him.”
Jim Burt returns to lead the Canes’ offense after hitting .322 last season with nine home runs and 48 RBI. He is slated to be the Hurricanes starting first baseman in 2003. Twins Danny and Paco Figueroa return to anchor the UM defense in center field and shortstop. Both hit .300 at the plate last season and should be a spark at the top of the UM lineup.
UM will open the season with the Alumni Game on Saturday, Feb. 1, at 7 p.m. at Mark Light Field. UM will then open the season on Wednesday, Feb. 5, at 7 p.m. with a home game against FIU.

University of Miami tailback/fullback Trayone Gray, a popular fifth-year senior out of Miami Carol C ...

When Mother’s Day came around back in May, Keontra Smith knew it was time to unveil his college comm ...

University of Miami true freshman quarterback Jarren Williams was not at practice on Tuesday morning ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ The Hurricanes, who began the offseason with five highly sk ...

There’s no doubt who the starting quarterback is at the University of Miami. As for those other thre ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

A UM researcher has determined that children exposed to traumatic events exhibit pains that if left ...

Head coach Mark Richt, all 10 assistant coaches and more than 50 players met with the media at the N ...

The Miami Hurricanes were under the lights at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday, closing out the opening we ...

The University of Miami volleyball program reported for training on Tuesday, officially beginning pr ...

Several members of Miami's highly-rated recruiting class have entered fall camp hungry to prove ...

Two University of Miami Track and Field athletes represented their respective countries at the Europ ...