Schroeder must keep Germany out of Iraq

“If you want to see to the heart of the matter,” a British parliamentarian once told me, “put on your political glasses”. That was one half year ago and the discussion was on U.S. steel tariffs. When I think of some of our closest allies’ current reluctance to join the pro-war front against Iraq, I immediately don the prescribed optic wear.
Kanzler Gerhard Schr^eder of Germany declared to the Berliner Zeitung on Thursday, “Our people can count on the German and French governments…to keep the peace, prevent war and maintain security”. Herr Schr^eder has reiterated his dogged opposition to a war against Iraq since our government started propagating the use of force last summer. He has had several political reasons to take the anti-war stance.
First, Schr^eder sits atop an unsteady coalition between the center-left Socialist Democratic Party (SPD) and the extreme left Green Party. When it looked as though that coalition was about to break up before last September’s election, Schr^eder began campaigning on the popular note of bashing American foreign policy towards Iraq. The result was his re-election to the Bundestag leadership post and reaffirmation of the coalition that has made the SPD the most powerful political force in Germany.
Once re-elected, Schr^eder kept up his anti-war stance because he knew that the majority of Germans were for UN weapons inspections in Iraq and against a military campaign. Germany’s preference for moderation and diplomacy is a value shared with most Europeans. Generally, most Germans consider America’s combative approach to maintaining world order outmoded and threatening to their own national security.
Lastly, Germany’s constitution, much like Japan’s, was created under the supervision of the allied powers after World War II. The governing text of the Bundesrepublik states clearly that the country’s military forces can never operate outside German borders, hence the reason why German troops did not play a role in the last Gulf War. Indeed, it was only in the Balkans conflict that German “peace keeping” forces were used in NATO campaigns.
Alas, we must conclude that the interests of politics are what will keep Kanzler Schr^eder and Germany from participating in any future conflict against Iraq. His reasons for withholding are just as political as the Bush Administration’s motives for striking. To maintain his post, and his party’s leadership, it really must be Schr^eder first.

Gunnar Heinrich is a visiting 3rd year politics & international relations major from the University of Aberdeen, King’s College in Scotland.

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

It’s impossible for the Miami Hurricanes to ignore all the negative feedback which comes along with ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers’ win against the Virginia Tech Hokies was, for all intents and purposes, alr ...

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

An international study led by University of Miami tropical biologists reveals that tropical trees ar ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

The Canes know the importance a win over Virginia Tech on Saturday can have heading into the final w ...

The University of Miami women's golf team announced Thursday that international amateur standou ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

Tournament runs Nov. 21-24, 2019, in Charleston, S.C. ...