Culture

News Briefs

Back in the early ’90s, triggered by an onslaught of groups in Seattle, grunge was in full effect and it may not be faltering just yet. Pearl Jam, a forerunning grunge group characterized by Eddie Vedder’s agonized singing and riffed-up guitar chords, announced a 48-city North American tour starting in April at the Pepsi Center in Denver in concordance with the release of their 7th studio effort, Riot Act. The album sold about 393,000 copies in 10 weeks and debuted at Number 5 on Billboard’s top 200.

Not only does talk show host Jerry Springer like to make an engaging travesty of ordinary, dim-witted America, but he’s considering running for the Senate as a Democrat next year against Republican George Voinovich. Though he acknowledged that his reputation may work against him, the 59 year-old millionaire says he has the resources for the campaign and claims he wants to “be helpful in rebuilding the party.”

Unorthodox film visionary Quentin Tarantino is back on track. Scheduled to be released on October 10, 2003, his latest directorial feature, Kill Bill, stars Uma Thurman as a former assassin who, surviving a bullet in the head, vies for revenge against the boss who betrayed her (David Carradine) and his crew of international murderers. Sounds pulpy.

R. Kelly can’t get enough of teenage girls: he was recently arrested at a Miami-Dade County hotel for owning 12 child pornography photos, 3 of which depict him in sexual conduct with a minor. He’s already facing similar charges in Illinois.

Life & Art could usually care less about gossip floating around Hollywood, but this shit caught us off guard: A Tribe Called Quest frontman Q-Tip was spotted making out with Tom Cruise’s ex-wife, Nicole Kidman, at some hip sushi joint. She must love that hip hop tip. Moreover, Tip’s been getting over his problems at Arista since they shelved his Kamaal: The Abstract and is in negotiations with Dreamworks, while rumors of a Tribe reunion hold little truth since the group reportedly turned down $500,000 to perform in Las Vegas. Tension’s still in the air.

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges, a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department, has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...

The Jan. 6 Capitol insurrection has given social scientists and psychologists another example to examine the behavior and actions of groups. ...

Some experts believe that pent-up demand will push the economy into a rebound after the majority of the U.S. population receives the COVID-19 vaccine. ...

All students are required to test negative for COVID-19 before attending any in-person classes, programs, or work shifts on any University of Miami campus. With the start of classes Monday, here is the critical information students need to know. ...