Culture

News Briefs

Back in the early ’90s, triggered by an onslaught of groups in Seattle, grunge was in full effect and it may not be faltering just yet. Pearl Jam, a forerunning grunge group characterized by Eddie Vedder’s agonized singing and riffed-up guitar chords, announced a 48-city North American tour starting in April at the Pepsi Center in Denver in concordance with the release of their 7th studio effort, Riot Act. The album sold about 393,000 copies in 10 weeks and debuted at Number 5 on Billboard’s top 200.

Not only does talk show host Jerry Springer like to make an engaging travesty of ordinary, dim-witted America, but he’s considering running for the Senate as a Democrat next year against Republican George Voinovich. Though he acknowledged that his reputation may work against him, the 59 year-old millionaire says he has the resources for the campaign and claims he wants to “be helpful in rebuilding the party.”

Unorthodox film visionary Quentin Tarantino is back on track. Scheduled to be released on October 10, 2003, his latest directorial feature, Kill Bill, stars Uma Thurman as a former assassin who, surviving a bullet in the head, vies for revenge against the boss who betrayed her (David Carradine) and his crew of international murderers. Sounds pulpy.

R. Kelly can’t get enough of teenage girls: he was recently arrested at a Miami-Dade County hotel for owning 12 child pornography photos, 3 of which depict him in sexual conduct with a minor. He’s already facing similar charges in Illinois.

Life & Art could usually care less about gossip floating around Hollywood, but this shit caught us off guard: A Tribe Called Quest frontman Q-Tip was spotted making out with Tom Cruise’s ex-wife, Nicole Kidman, at some hip sushi joint. She must love that hip hop tip. Moreover, Tip’s been getting over his problems at Arista since they shelved his Kamaal: The Abstract and is in negotiations with Dreamworks, while rumors of a Tribe reunion hold little truth since the group reportedly turned down $500,000 to perform in Las Vegas. Tension’s still in the air.

In their first Climate Café, Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science faculty members and

Student and faculty mentors and their foster-care teen mentees both reap rich rewards through intera

’Canes Central provides undergraduate and graduate students with easy, efficient support for registr

Neil Hammerschlag provides a preview of what to expect during this year’s shark programming set to b

University of Miami architects and engineers, spurred by lessons learned from the pandemic, re-creat