Campus Calendar an News Briefs

TODAY
Women’s Basketball vs. Virginia Tech at 7 p.m. in the Convocation Center. It’s also Residential Hall Night: greatest attendance wins free pizza.

The spring semester Spiritual Information Fair will be from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on the UC patio. The various student religious organizations of the University will provide information on the variety of religious life on campus. KFC and kosher pizza will be served.

Come to the Teach for America Information Session, at 4:00 p.m. in the Toppel Career Center. Teach For America is the national corps of recent college graduates who commit two years to teach in urban and rural public schools and become lifelong leaders in the effort to expand opportunity for children. Final application deadline is Feb 21, 2003. For questions or more information contact admissions@teachforamerica.org, 800-832-1230 ext. 225.

Hispaniola Day (Haiti & Dominican Republic) in the UC Lower Lounge from 11 – 8 p.m.

“Dispelling Myths About the Caribbean,” Flamingo Ballroom D, 7 p.m.

WEDNESDAY JANUARY 29

The Hispanic Scholarship Fund Scholar Chapter will hold a Goldman Sachs Learning Modules/ Leadership Development Workshop, at 7 p.m. in UC 233. Direct any questions to RA8046@students.law.miami.edu.

Jamaica/Trinidad Day, UC Patio, 11 – 3 p.m.

Caribbean Extravaganza, International Lounge, 8 p.m.
THURSDAY JANUARY 30

The Hurricane baseball team and head coach Jim Morris invite you to the 2003 “First Pitch” Banquet featuring guest speaker Ron Fraser, Thursday, January 30, at the Radisson Mart Plaza Hotel, Royal Poinciana Ballroom, (711 NW. 72nd Ave.). The banquet will start with cocktails at 6 p.m. and dinner at 7 p.m. Price per person is $70, or $560 per table of eight. All reservations must be made in advance. The registration deadline is Thursday, Jan 23. For more information call 305-284-6699.

Caribbean Fun Night, UC Patio, 4 – 7 p.m.

Karaoke Night, Rat, 7 – 10 p.m.

FRIDAY JANUARY 31
Come out and party with young Arab-Americans featuring DJ Nile spinning the latest and hottest Arabic and international music at the Rathskeller. Argeela Night is from 9 p.m. to 12 a.m. Email oasisofum@yahoogroups.com.

Virgin Islands/Puerto Rico Friendship Day

Resident Assistant Applications are due at the Department of Residence Halls Office in the North wing of Eaton Residential College, by 5 p.m.

Sportsfest, the three-day competition between the residential colleges and apartment area, kicks off at the Rat at 5 p.m.

SATURDAY FEBRUARY 1

Take a FREE GMAT, LSAT, or MCAT practice test at Kaplan’s Test Drive. To enroll, call 305-284-0090.
TUESDAY FEBRUARY 11

Are you in the process of selecting a major or considering a change of major? Are you possibly interested in adding a major? Toppel Career Center will have a Majors Fair from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the Whitten University Center Lower Lounge. Come talk with faculty representatives from these Schools and Colleges: Arts & Sciences, Business, Communication, Education and Nursing. The Pre-Law and Honors Programs will also have representatives to whom you will be able to talk.

WEDNESDAY FEBRUARY 19

The Hispanic Scholarship Fund Scholar Chapter will hold an Alumni-Mentor Reception at 7 p.m. in UC 233. Direct any questions to RA8046@students.law.miami.edu.

Nomination forms are now available in the Academic Development Center (UC 201) for the Nu Kappa Tau Chapter of Mortar Board-The national college senior honor society. Nominees must be of Junior standing (60-90 credits) with a GPA of 3.391 and excel in scholarship, leadership, and service. Nomination forms are due in the ADC on 2/10 by 5:00 p.m.

Join the Wellness Center on Wednesday, Feb. 5th from 5 to 7 p.m. in the Wellness Center Atrium for Healthy Heart day, an event providing information to protect both aspects of your heart: physical and emotional. For more information, contact Janet Tiberian at 8-6524.

The National Endowment for the Humanities is offering up to 15 internships in Washington, D.C., for the summer 2003. College students entering their junior or senior year in fall 2003 are eligible. NEH interns receive $4,000 for 10 weeks of work. Past interns have written articles for Humanities magazine, researched emerging fields in the humanities, and developed web-based tools for gathering humanities-related information. The application deadline is January 21, 2003. Applications are being accepted online at http://www.neh.gov.

Housing Sign-Up Information Meetings: Monday, January 27th, 8:00pm in Eaton College, Classroom #148; Tuesday, January 28th, 8:00pm in Hecht College Classroom #101; Wednesday, January 29th, 8:00pm in Mahoney/Pearson College Classroom #101. Be financially registered for the spring semester and pay the $250 non-refundable deposit through the cashier on the first floor of the Ashe Building by February 21st. Those students will receive a deposit confirmation letter the week prior to Spring Break-this letter will contain your sign-up priority number and instructions on when to sign up by the week of March 3rd.

Contact the Department of Residence Halls at (305) 284-4505 or Housing@miami.edu.

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...