Sports Briefs

ROWING
The University of Miami women’s rowing team christened a racing eight, the Dr. Donna E Shalala, at half-time of the UM men’s basketball game vs. Connecticut.
The boat Dr. Donna E. Shalala is a 56 foot, 198 lb., state-of-the-art racing shell made completely of carbon fiber.
Shalala in her second year as UM president has been a strong supporter of Hurricanes athletics.
“President Donna Shalala serves as such a strong leader for collegiate women sports, we are excited to be able to honor her in this way,” Head Coach Debra Morgan said. “We are looking forward to racing the Dr. Donna E. Shalala on March 22 against Connecticut.”
The Hurricanes return to action Saturday, March 22 at Miami Beach, FL against Connecticut.
FRASER TO SPEAK AT BANQUET
Head Coach Jim Morris and the Miami baseball team will kickoff the new season with the 2003 “First Pitch” Banquet that will feature guest speaker Ron Fraser on Thursday, Jan. 30, 2003.
The banquet will be held at the Radisson Mart Plaza Hotel, 711 NW 72nd Ave. It is scheduled to begin with cocktails at 6 p.m. and dinner following at 7 p.m. The cost is $70 per person and $560 for a table of eight. Tables of eight will be seated first.
The advanced registration deadline is Thursday, January 23. All reservations must be made in advance, no walk-ups will be allowed.
In other baseball news, the Hurricanes have added an exhibition game to its schedule against the Major League Florida Marlins at Roger Dean Stadium in Jupiter, Fla., Wednesday, Feb. 26, at 3:05 p.m.
In last season’s meeting with the Marlins, Miami rallied for five runs on five hits and an error in the bottom of the third inning to knot the score at 5-5 before rained halted the game.
The Hurricanes started then-freshman Vince Bongiovanni, who allowed three earned runs in the first inning, but also struck out three Marlins, including Preston Wilson. Bongiovanni held the Marlins scoreless in the second and finished with three hits, three earned runs, one walk and three strikeouts. He also hit two batters and had one wild pitch.
Fans can purchase reserved seating for $7 by contacting the Roger Dean Stadium ticket office at (561) 775-1818 or Ticketmaster in Palm Beach County (561-966-3309), Broward County (954-523-3309) and Dade County (305-358-5885).

The Marlins — along with a handful of other teams — haven’t signed a single player from another team ...

The 2019 Miami Hurricanes coaching staff is now in place and ready to rumble. Though the Hurricanes ...

The last time Tyree St. Louis played something other than tackle, by coincidence, was the last time ...

Manny Diaz might as well have been the head of the National Weather Service on Tuesday. At 7:27 p.m. ...

Even after landing Ohio State transfer Tate Martell, the Hurricanes aren’t done looking for quarterb ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

The singer, songwriter, actress, and entrepreneur will share insights and advice from her more than ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

Canes have won six of last 10 meetings with UNC. ...

The Miami women's basketball team earned its first victory at Cameron Indoor Stadium with a 58- ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Thursday that ESPN reporter and UM alumna Allison Williams w ...