Sports Briefs

ROWING
The University of Miami women’s rowing team christened a racing eight, the Dr. Donna E Shalala, at half-time of the UM men’s basketball game vs. Connecticut.
The boat Dr. Donna E. Shalala is a 56 foot, 198 lb., state-of-the-art racing shell made completely of carbon fiber.
Shalala in her second year as UM president has been a strong supporter of Hurricanes athletics.
“President Donna Shalala serves as such a strong leader for collegiate women sports, we are excited to be able to honor her in this way,” Head Coach Debra Morgan said. “We are looking forward to racing the Dr. Donna E. Shalala on March 22 against Connecticut.”
The Hurricanes return to action Saturday, March 22 at Miami Beach, FL against Connecticut.
FRASER TO SPEAK AT BANQUET
Head Coach Jim Morris and the Miami baseball team will kickoff the new season with the 2003 “First Pitch” Banquet that will feature guest speaker Ron Fraser on Thursday, Jan. 30, 2003.
The banquet will be held at the Radisson Mart Plaza Hotel, 711 NW 72nd Ave. It is scheduled to begin with cocktails at 6 p.m. and dinner following at 7 p.m. The cost is $70 per person and $560 for a table of eight. Tables of eight will be seated first.
The advanced registration deadline is Thursday, January 23. All reservations must be made in advance, no walk-ups will be allowed.
In other baseball news, the Hurricanes have added an exhibition game to its schedule against the Major League Florida Marlins at Roger Dean Stadium in Jupiter, Fla., Wednesday, Feb. 26, at 3:05 p.m.
In last season’s meeting with the Marlins, Miami rallied for five runs on five hits and an error in the bottom of the third inning to knot the score at 5-5 before rained halted the game.
The Hurricanes started then-freshman Vince Bongiovanni, who allowed three earned runs in the first inning, but also struck out three Marlins, including Preston Wilson. Bongiovanni held the Marlins scoreless in the second and finished with three hits, three earned runs, one walk and three strikeouts. He also hit two batters and had one wild pitch.
Fans can purchase reserved seating for $7 by contacting the Roger Dean Stadium ticket office at (561) 775-1818 or Ticketmaster in Palm Beach County (561-966-3309), Broward County (954-523-3309) and Dade County (305-358-5885).