Chartwells brings the Crepemaker to campus

The Crepemaker, the new crepe stand between the UC and the Rock, near the convenience store entrance, has attracted hundreds of students in its first week of operation and its popularity is expected to grow.
“We get about 200 people a day,” Zeus Juman, manager of Crepemaker, said.
Currently, the stand offers a variety of crepes, ranging from dessert crepes to salad crepes. Sandwich-like crepes and breakfast crepes are also on the menu.
“The stand is planned for the semester, sort of as a trial,” Juman said.
According to Chartwells, in 1995, UM had a crepe stand on campus similar to Crepemaker.
“We had requests to bring it back,” said Mel Tenen, UM Director of Auxiliary Services. “Considerable student feedback has led to the return of this popular item.”
“I hope it becomes a permanent part of the food court,” said Jamie Lamson, as she enjoyed her “triple treat” crepe, filled with bananas, strawberries and Nutella.
Not all students are pleased with the new crepe stand.
“I’m down to just eating the salads and from the deli,” sophomore Seth Severino said.
“I haven’t been there because I’m not paying $5 for a crepe,” Richards said.
Employees of the crepe stand, however, remain optimistic.
“Business should get better as people learn about it,” Juman said.
Tenen also added that there are plans for a full sushi concept in the food court scheduled for fall 2003.
Although most students are looking forward to the new menu option, some are skeptical.
“I don’t even really like cooked fish,” sophomore Kae Richards said. “Raw fish is out of the question.”
Chartwells is also planning an expansion of the Hecht-Stanford Dining Hall. Early last summer, renovations led to 150 additional seats in the dining hall.
“There will be dramatic improvements,” Tenen said. “We will totally renovate the seating area, with a much expanded serving area.”
Most of the students interviewed by the Hurricane are happy that Chartwells is making an effort to improve student satisfaction in terms of food service and selections and that the company is always open to student feedback and suggestions.
“I think it’s great that Chartwells pays attention to students because we are their customers,” senior Minnie Peraza said. “It shows that they really care about us.”
Despite the enthusiasm displayed by Chartwells and students concerning the new meal additions, some students would rather see better food selections in the cafeterias and less expensive meal plans.
The most popular meal plan selection for Spring 2003 is $1,611 per semester for 14 meals a week and 150 “dining dollars.” All incoming freshmen are required to register for this plan, regardless of personal preference.
“I dropped my meal plan this semester because I hated the food,” sophomore Jon Hall said. “Then I spent all my spending money on food.”

Sam Lockhart can be contacted at s.lockhart1@umiami.edu

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

It’s impossible for the Miami Hurricanes to ignore all the negative feedback which comes along with ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers’ win against the Virginia Tech Hokies was, for all intents and purposes, alr ...

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

An international study led by University of Miami tropical biologists reveals that tropical trees ar ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

The Canes know the importance a win over Virginia Tech on Saturday can have heading into the final w ...

The University of Miami women's golf team announced Thursday that international amateur standou ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

Tournament runs Nov. 21-24, 2019, in Charleston, S.C. ...