Chartwells brings the Crepemaker to campus

The Crepemaker, the new crepe stand between the UC and the Rock, near the convenience store entrance, has attracted hundreds of students in its first week of operation and its popularity is expected to grow.
“We get about 200 people a day,” Zeus Juman, manager of Crepemaker, said.
Currently, the stand offers a variety of crepes, ranging from dessert crepes to salad crepes. Sandwich-like crepes and breakfast crepes are also on the menu.
“The stand is planned for the semester, sort of as a trial,” Juman said.
According to Chartwells, in 1995, UM had a crepe stand on campus similar to Crepemaker.
“We had requests to bring it back,” said Mel Tenen, UM Director of Auxiliary Services. “Considerable student feedback has led to the return of this popular item.”
“I hope it becomes a permanent part of the food court,” said Jamie Lamson, as she enjoyed her “triple treat” crepe, filled with bananas, strawberries and Nutella.
Not all students are pleased with the new crepe stand.
“I’m down to just eating the salads and from the deli,” sophomore Seth Severino said.
“I haven’t been there because I’m not paying $5 for a crepe,” Richards said.
Employees of the crepe stand, however, remain optimistic.
“Business should get better as people learn about it,” Juman said.
Tenen also added that there are plans for a full sushi concept in the food court scheduled for fall 2003.
Although most students are looking forward to the new menu option, some are skeptical.
“I don’t even really like cooked fish,” sophomore Kae Richards said. “Raw fish is out of the question.”
Chartwells is also planning an expansion of the Hecht-Stanford Dining Hall. Early last summer, renovations led to 150 additional seats in the dining hall.
“There will be dramatic improvements,” Tenen said. “We will totally renovate the seating area, with a much expanded serving area.”
Most of the students interviewed by the Hurricane are happy that Chartwells is making an effort to improve student satisfaction in terms of food service and selections and that the company is always open to student feedback and suggestions.
“I think it’s great that Chartwells pays attention to students because we are their customers,” senior Minnie Peraza said. “It shows that they really care about us.”
Despite the enthusiasm displayed by Chartwells and students concerning the new meal additions, some students would rather see better food selections in the cafeterias and less expensive meal plans.
The most popular meal plan selection for Spring 2003 is $1,611 per semester for 14 meals a week and 150 “dining dollars.” All incoming freshmen are required to register for this plan, regardless of personal preference.
“I dropped my meal plan this semester because I hated the food,” sophomore Jon Hall said. “Then I spent all my spending money on food.”

Sam Lockhart can be contacted at s.lockhart1@umiami.edu

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Former University of Miami football and NFL star player Jonathan Vilma made a splash in South Florid ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

Miami redshirt senior quarterback Malik Rosier was named to the preseason watch list for the Manning ...

The University of Miami's volleyball team returns to the Knight Sports Complex on Saturday at 3 ...

The University of Miami soccer team will travel to Boca Raton, Fla., Friday night as the team kicks ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews revealed Thursday the team's schedule ...

The Canes defense is full of big names like Shaq Quarterman and Jaquan Johnson, but these players ha ...