A narrow escape for the Lady Hurricanes

The Miami women’s basketball team remains perfect on the road in Big East play with a 79-76 victory over Pittsburgh Wednesday night in the Petersen Events Center.
The Hurricanes improve to 12-4 overall and 4-1 in conference play, while the Panthers fall to 9-7 overall and 1-4 in the Big East.
Tamara James recorded her sixth double-double of the season with 19 points and 12 rebounds in the win. Yalonda McCormick scored a career-high 19 points and was a perfect eight-of-eight from the free throw line.
Meghan Saake scored 16 points along with six steals while Shaquana Wilkins added 10 points and grabbed nine boards.
To begin the contest, four quick points by Pitt’s Mandy Wittenmyer gave the Panthers an early 4-2 advantage. However, costly turnovers and personal fouls led to a 19-4 spurt by Miami, giving the Hurricanes a 21-8 lead with 8:01 remaining in the first half. Miami took a 39-28 lead into the locker room at halftime.
The two teams traded baskets to start the second half until the Panthers went on a 7-0 run to tie the game 56-all with 8:28 remaining in the game. Pittsburgh grabbed its first lead of the second half and pushed their advantage to three points following a 3-pointer by Brooke Stewart.
Miami responded and with 13 seconds remaining it owned a 75-70 lead. McCormick and James combined hitting six-of-six from the free throw line to seal the win for Miami.
Laine Selwyn posted her third double-double of the season for Pitt as she finished with 13 points and 11 assists. She also added eight rebounds and four steals while making 7-of-7 foul shots. Wittenmyer added a team-high 15 points and Allen and Stewart tallied 14 points apiece.
The Panthers shot just 30 percent (11 of 36) from the field in the first 20 minutes, including a dismal eight percent (1 of 12) from 3-point range. For the game, Pittsburgh managed to shoot 39 percent (26 of 67) from the field while Miami drained 44 percent (29 of 66) of its field goals.

-Compiled by the Sports Information Department

It was maybe coincidence, but positioned just behind his left shoulder as Tyrique Stevenson spoke ab ...

The Miami Hurricanes unveiled a new turnover chain this season, replacing the bedazzled “U” that han ...

Before now, the last time the Miami Hurricanes scored 21 or fewer points in four consecutive games w ...

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

Miami wraps up its season-opening homestand with a 2 p.m. Saturday matchup against Bethune-Cookman a ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...