Sports Briefs

TRACK AND FIELD
Senior Jabari Ennis and junior Aaron Bass finished first and second in the pole vault at the Florida Intercollegiates Saturday at the Stephen C. O’Connell Center in Gainesville.
Ennis’ vault of 5.05 meters and Bass’ 4.90 performance both qualified for the Big East championship.
In one 55-meter dash final, freshmen Tavarous Bain and Terrell Walden also finished in first and second in one of the sprint event’s finals. Tanard Davis and Roscoe Parrish both finished the day with Big East Championship qualifying times in the 55 meters.
On the women’s front, University of Miami freshman sprinter Charlotte Greggs took first place in the 200-meters with a time of 23.91, and All-American Lauryn Williams won the 55-meters with a school-record time of 6.82.
Greggs’ time in the 200-meters provisionally qualified for the NCAA championship while Williams provisionally qualified in the 55-meters and 200-meters. Greggs, competing in her first collegiate meet, also anchored the Hurricanes’ winning 4×400 relay squad (3:43.24).
Williams, who last season earned All-America honors in the 60-meters and 100-meters, finished second in the 200-meters (6.87) behind Greggs.
Sophomore Amber Williams finished among the top three competitors in both the long jump and the 55-meter hurdles. Williams took third in the 55-meter hurdles with a time of 7.94 and third in the long jump with a distance of 5.85 meters (19-02.25).
Senior Patricia Pearson took second for the Hurricanes in the 800-meters with a time of 2:11.45. Junior Kitova Carter placed third in the 400-meters (56.02). The Hurricanes also won the 4×800 relay.
VOLLEYBALL
The final USA Today/AVCA Division 1 Coaches Top 25 collegiate volleyball poll was recently released with the University of Miami ranked 23rd in the nation.
The Hurricanes’ outstanding second season included a 26-match win streak wrapping around from their inaugural 2001 campaign. They amassed a 27-6 record and recorded wins over such NCAA tournament qualifying teams as South Florida, Florida State, and Notre Dame during the regular season.
In NCAA Tournament play, the Hurricanes defeated Duke in three games during the first round of regional play in Madison, Wis. They went on to defeat tradition powerhouse and host Wisconsin 3-1.
UM’s dramatic season finally concluded with a loss to Big 12 Champion Nebraska in Lincoln.
Miami’s Valeria Tipiana was selected as the Big East Player of the Year and Mallorey James earned Setter of the Year honors for the conference. In addition to Tipiana and James, senior outside hitter Marcela Gamarra was chosen to represent the Hurricanes on the All-Big East First Team.

MEN’S TENNIS
University of Miami tennis player Todd Widom was announced as the ninth ranked player in the country Monday, according to the Omni Hotels Collegiate Tennis Rankings.
The Hurricanes’ will start the season ranked 42nd in the country and will host their first home match of the season Thursday, Jan. 30 at 6 p.m. at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center on the Coral Gables campus.

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The Miami Hurricanes football coaching staff is officially complete. UM announced Friday that Taylor ...

The Marlins — along with a handful of other teams — haven’t signed a single player from another team ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

Canes have won six of last 10 meetings with UNC. ...

Check out the January edition of the University of Miami's e-magazine. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team improved to 2-0 on the young season after securing a ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team will play its first doubleheader of the season Saturday in ...