English is the standard and not the exception

I recently interviewed for an internship at Young & Rubicam Advertising in Miami. My book was well received and we seemed to be off to a hopeful start when, suddenly, a problem arose.
After informing me that she was one of the only “gringos” in the agency, the human resources director explained that the only possible complication she could foresee was my “language,” or lack thereof. I was absolutely appalled with this direct display of reverse discrimination. Someone was sitting before me (here in America) telling me that I was ineligible for employment (in America) because I didn’t speak Spanish (in America)! Am I missing something here besides a third language? I realize with the heavy international influence prevalent in Miami that this is a very touchy subject and, no doubt, some people will work themselves into a frenzied state of political paranoia and label me every name in the book.
My father emigrated from Czechoslovakia during World War II, so I am no stranger to Ellis Island or the freedom sought in our country; but I have to tell you, if I even visited a place where a different language was primarily spoken, you bet I’d grab a translating dictionary and give it my best shot.
Incidentally, you might be interested to know that Spanish is not as global a language as people in Miami would like to think. There are only two officially recognized global languages and those are English and French – not Spanish. Did you know it is now possible to take the Oath of Allegiance (necessary to obtain citizenship) in your native tongue? Doesn’t that seem the slightest bit ironic? Doesn’t it occur to anyone that as they’re coming to America for whatever reason, yet refusing to assimilate into the American culture, they may ultimately succeed in turning this country into the one they were trying to leave? I realize that, in the global realm of international business, Miami serves as the hub for Latin American industry, but for crying out loud – what’s a red-blooded gringo have to do to get a job around here?
One more thing – those who have become accustomed to this overly tolerant, come-as-you-are environment shouldn’t plan on leaving Miami anytime soon, because they will be unpleasantly surprised to find that in the rest of the country, English is the standard and not the exception.

Whitney W. Friedrich is a senior majoring in advertising and English.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

On a historic afternoon for redshirt senior goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce, the University of Miami ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The Miami women's tennis team wrapped up competition Sunday at the ITA Southeast Regional Champ ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...