Campus Calendar and News Briefs

TODAY
Red Dragon will be showing at the Cosford Cinema at 8 and 10 p.m. Students get in free with a ‘Cane Card.

The Concert Association of Florida, in cooperation with the UM School of Music, presents a special master class with world-renowned pianist Joseph Kalichstein, 11 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. at Gusman Hall. The class is free and open to the public.

Visit the Club Sports Expo from 5 to 7 p.m. in the Atrium of the Wellness Center. The club sports program offers 32 various sports and recreational clubs that are instructional, recreational and competitive in organization.

Martin Luther King Week Breakfast at 9 a.m. at Founders Hall.

Candlelight Vigil at 7 p.m. at Lake Osceola.

WEDNESDAY JANUARY 22
MLK Forum: His Dream: Where Are We Now? at 7 p.m. in the UC International Lounge.

THURSDAY JANUARY 23
Jazz Night at 7 p.m. in the UC Storm Surge Cafe. “One who condones evils is just as guilty as the one who perpetrates it.” -MLK

Pass by COSO and HP’s SPRING’TING Involvement Fair from 11 – 2 p.m. on the UC Patio.

FRIDAY JANUARY 24
Come learn about the Peace Corps in an information session and video presentation, from 12 to 1 p.m. in UC 241. Contact Erin Seiler at 305-284-5398 for more information.

Metropolis will be showing at the Cosford Cinema at 7:15 p.m. Fritz Lang’s epic drama of life in the year 2026 has not been seen in its original version since a brief run in 1927. German archivists, working with material gathered from all surviving versions and using new digital technologies, have restored the film to as close to the original version as we are ever likely to see. The dazzling sets and tens of thousands of extras provide the backdrop for a wild combination of love story and political allegory of man versus machine.

SATURDAY JANUARY 25
Women’s Basketball vs. Syracuse at 7 p.m. in the Convocation Center. Wear your beach attire and get free pizza.

SUNDAY JANUARY 26
Men’s Basketball vs. Syracuse at 1 p.m. in the Convocation Center. Sign up for the Slam Dunk contest at halftime; call 305-284-5903.

TUESDAY JANUARY 28
Women’s Basketball vs. Virginia Tech at 7 p.m. in the Convocation Center. It’s also Residential Hall Night: greatest attendance wins free pizza.

WEDNESDAY JANUARY 29
The Hispanic Scholarship Fund Scholar Chapter will hold a Goldman Sachs Learning Modules/Leadership Development Workshop at 7 p.m. in UC 233. Direct any questions to RA8046@students.law.miami.edu.

THURSDAY JANUARY 30
The Hurricane baseball team and head coach Jim Morris invite you to the 2003 “First Pitch” Banquet, featuring guest speaker Ron Fraser, at the Radisson Mart Plaza Hotel, Royal Poinciana Ballroom (711 NW 72nd Ave.). The banquet will start with cocktails at 6 p.m. and dinner at 7 p.m. Price per person is $70, or $560 per table of eight. All reservations must be made in advance. The registration deadline is Thursday, Jan. 23. For more information call 305-284-6699.

SATURDAY FEBRUARY 1
Take a FREE GMAT, LSAT or MCAT practice test at Kaplan’s Test Drive. To enroll, call 305-284-0090.

TUESDAY FEBRUARY 11
Are you in the process of selecting a major or considering a change of major? Are you possibly interested in adding a major? Toppel Career Center will have a Majors Fair from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the Whitten University Center Lower Lounge. Come talk with faculty representatives from these schools and colleges: Arts & Sciences, Business, Communication, Education and Nursing. The Pre-Law and Honors Programs will also have representatives to whom you will be able to talk.

Fifteen years after Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s death, President Ronald Reagan signed a bill into law making the third Monday of January a national holiday celebrating Dr. King’s birth and life. However, it was a tough time getting the bill passed. Many people were opposed to the idea of a holiday for Dr. King because the United States had honored only two individuals with national holidays – George Washington and Christopher Columbus – and felt other Americans like Abraham Lincoln and John F. Kennedy deserved one. The bill was signed into law on Nov. 2, 1983, and the first national celebration of the holiday took place Jan. 20, 1986.

Environmental leaders and prominent academics who practice interdisciplinary approaches to environmental teaching and research will be on campus for a series of events Jan. 21 – 24 to coincide with the launch of the new Center for Ecosystem Science and Policy (CESP). The Center will create innovative initiatives designed to bridge the gap between science and environmental policy. Faculty and students wishing to attend should contact CESP Director Professor Mary Doyle at 305-284-8259.

The men’s crew team is raising money by doing your chores! For $15 per person per hour on a Saturday or Sunday of your choice, a rower will do any house or yard work. Money raised goes toward travel expenses so the team can compete in national regattas such as the South Eastern Championships and the Dad Vail National Championships. Interested? Call Ryan Jonas at 305-689-6368.

The National Endowment for the Humanities is offering up to 15 internships in Washington, D.C., for the summer 2003. College students entering their junior or senior year in fall 2003 are eligible. NEH interns receive $4,000 for 10 weeks of work. Past interns have written articles for Humanities magazine, researched emerging fields in the humanities and developed web-based tools for gathering humanities-related information. The application deadline is Jan. 21, 2003. Applications are being accepted online at http://www.neh.gov.

Come to the Teach for America Information Session, Jan. 28, at 4 p.m. in the Toppel Career Center. Teach For America is the national corps of recent college graduates who commit two years to teach in urban and rural public schools in the effort to expand opportunity for children. Seeking all majors. No previous education experience or coursework necessary. Full salary plus $9,450 education award and loan forbearance. Final application deadline is Feb. 21. For information contact admissions@teachforamerica.org, 800-832-1230 ext. 225.

Renowned jazz recording artist and UM alumna Carmen Lundy will perform with the UM Concert Jazz Band, led by Director Dante Luciani, Jan. 25 at 8 p.m. at UM’s Maurice Gusman Hall. A native of Miami, Lundy has been called “One of the world’s greatest jazz vocalists” by Blues and Soul Magazine in England. Ticket prices for the concert are $10, or $5 for students and senior citizens. For information, call the UM School of Music at 305.284.4940 or log on to www.music.miami.edu.