Another setback for mens basketball

Andre Barrett had 21 points and a season-high 11 assists to lead Seton Hall to a 76-53 victory over Miami on Saturday in a game that was interrupted for 15 minutes by a power failure.
Freshman guard J.R. Morris had a career-high 21 points, and John Allen added 18 and the Pirates (7-7, 2-3 Big East) hit a season-high 12 three-point field goals in winning their second straight.
The Pirates were 7-for-10 from 3-point range in the second half and they finished 12-for-17, or nearly 71 percent for the game. Seton Hall shot 54.3 percent (25 of 46) overall in the game.
Darius Rice had 16 points for Miami (7-7, 0-3), which lost its third straight game. James Jones, the Hurricanes’ leading scorer with a 19.3-point average, was limited to a season-low seven points, the first time this season he has not scored in double figures.
The game at the Continental Airlines Arena got off to an interesting start because of the power problem. Lighting in the arena flickered every five or 10 seconds even before the opening tip-off and play was momentarily suspended when the lights dimmed less than two minutes into the game.
Coaches Perry Clark of Miami and Louis Orr of Seton Hall elected to continue, but the officials had no choice but to stop the game when the lights went out with 17:27 left in the half.
The teams left the floor and play eventually resumed 15 minutes later when the lights came back on.
Miami led for much of the first half, but Barrett eventually took over, scoring 13 of his 16 first-half points in the final 7:44. His 3-point play with 6:07 left in the half gave the Pirates the lead for good at 20-19.
Barrett then fed Morris for the second of his five 3-pointers for a 23-19 lead. Barrett added two more 3-pointers and a jumper in helping Seton Hall take a 35-28 lead.
The Hurricanes got within 40-35 in the opening minutes of the second half, but Barrett fed Morris for both a reverse ally-oop dunk and a 3-pointer, and he later assisted on a 3 pointer and a layup by Allen in a 13-2 spurt that gave Seton Hall a 53-37 lead.
Miami, which hit 8-for-26 from the field in the second half, never got closer than 12 points the rest of the way. The final margin was the largest of the game.
-Compiled by the Sports Information Department

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

There wasn’t much energy in the Watsco Center stands on Saturday afternoon as most University of Mia ...

View photos from the Bethune-Cookman wildcats at Miami Hurricanes in a NCAA college basketball game ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

Seniors Kolby Bird and Haley Templeton will play in their final match at the James L. Knight Sports ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...