Another setback for mens basketball

Andre Barrett had 21 points and a season-high 11 assists to lead Seton Hall to a 76-53 victory over Miami on Saturday in a game that was interrupted for 15 minutes by a power failure.
Freshman guard J.R. Morris had a career-high 21 points, and John Allen added 18 and the Pirates (7-7, 2-3 Big East) hit a season-high 12 three-point field goals in winning their second straight.
The Pirates were 7-for-10 from 3-point range in the second half and they finished 12-for-17, or nearly 71 percent for the game. Seton Hall shot 54.3 percent (25 of 46) overall in the game.
Darius Rice had 16 points for Miami (7-7, 0-3), which lost its third straight game. James Jones, the Hurricanes’ leading scorer with a 19.3-point average, was limited to a season-low seven points, the first time this season he has not scored in double figures.
The game at the Continental Airlines Arena got off to an interesting start because of the power problem. Lighting in the arena flickered every five or 10 seconds even before the opening tip-off and play was momentarily suspended when the lights dimmed less than two minutes into the game.
Coaches Perry Clark of Miami and Louis Orr of Seton Hall elected to continue, but the officials had no choice but to stop the game when the lights went out with 17:27 left in the half.
The teams left the floor and play eventually resumed 15 minutes later when the lights came back on.
Miami led for much of the first half, but Barrett eventually took over, scoring 13 of his 16 first-half points in the final 7:44. His 3-point play with 6:07 left in the half gave the Pirates the lead for good at 20-19.
Barrett then fed Morris for the second of his five 3-pointers for a 23-19 lead. Barrett added two more 3-pointers and a jumper in helping Seton Hall take a 35-28 lead.
The Hurricanes got within 40-35 in the opening minutes of the second half, but Barrett fed Morris for both a reverse ally-oop dunk and a 3-pointer, and he later assisted on a 3 pointer and a layup by Allen in a 13-2 spurt that gave Seton Hall a 53-37 lead.
Miami, which hit 8-for-26 from the field in the second half, never got closer than 12 points the rest of the way. The final margin was the largest of the game.
-Compiled by the Sports Information Department

The Miami Hurricanes have had almost a week to regroup after a road loss at Boston College, and they ...

Sam Brooks stood on the field at Orlando’s Camping World Stadium, tears welling up in his eyes, and ...

The Miami Hurricanes had just stunned second-ranked Louisville on the road last Sunday, in front of ...

Willie Moise was willing to give the Miami Hurricanes the benefit of the doubt when Manny Diaz left ...

The tweets that foreshadowed Thursday’s news for the Miami Hurricanes began the third week of Januar ...

Without their foresight and love of homeland, the collection—the largest repository of Cuban documen ...

In the wake of Justice Thomas’s jaw-dropping statement, UM media law experts weigh in on the landmar ...

Which film will win Best Picture? Who will be Best Actor? We asked the experts. ...

Political unrest has swept through Haiti recently, spurred on by escalating prices and alleged polit ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Michael Amditis hit his first career home run to lead the Canes past the Gators. ...

Three Miami track and field athletes made their way to the podium on Day 2 of the ACC Indoor Champio ...

In Friday's ACC opener, the No. 35 University of Miami men's tennis team topped Georgia Te ...

Game time is 2 p.m. in Coral Gables. ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set for its second in-state, top-25 showdown of the ...