SESSION IN THE UNDERWORLD

In conjunction with the coverage of South Florida, Life & Art endeavors to provide readers with more widespread exposure to the abstruse world of art. Accordingly, we probed into the bustling scene in New York to excavate the goods on an alternative, yet flourishing art scene.
Seemingly frustrated and disenchanted by highbrow intelligentsia and caviar-and-cocktail art openings, young creative brewers in cities such as NYC and San Francisco spurned the superciliousness and snobbery of traditional art gala and rather chose to open doors to a modern generation of youthful subculture-i.e., influenced by graffiti, skateboarding, hip hop and street life. Embracing the gritty verve of the street and city with depictions inspired from political satire, television and video games, media imagery and advertising bluffs, porno and drugs, psychedelic cartooning, fashion with subversive flair, ’60s Pop art and surreal settings, these artists attempt to dissect the urban disarray with painting, photography and mixed-media productions, therein illuminating their specific lifestyle and culture.
Assembled at the warehouse-like space at Deitch Projects in downtown New York is Session the Bowl, an exhibit of 30 of these burgeoning artists, yet the hub of activity is centered around a massive functional sculpture: entitled “Free Basin,” this kidney-shaped skateboard bowl is free for anyone to use and intervenes with an environment usually allocated to quiet, unobtrusive viewing. Hand-made by the architectural collective Simparch, the piece was shown in other spaces such as the Hyde Park Center in Chicago (2000), at the Wexner Center (2002) and recently at Documenta. “Free Basin” may exude the relation between skateboarding and pavement (here, it’s wood) in concordance with that of paint and canvas or it may disorient the nlooker, who climbs up the strange structure and looks down into an empty pool, yet it coincides well with the nature of art that is exposed along the rest of the walls in the gallery.
As skaters catch air or show off their skills in noisy sessions, others observe the numerous pieces on display. Shepard Fairey’s faux-propaganda stencils show portraits of public figures such as celebrities (e.g., Johnny Rotten smirking) or political faces (Richard Nixon with portrayals of Asian “commies” in the background), always with his signature, ironic “OBEY” sign. Chris Johanson, in his typical minimalist, yet colorful renditions, paints a backyard where friends are bar-b-cuing and skating a vert ramp, while the next door neighbor complains: “What the fuck is up with those fucking kids making fucking noise! I’m calling the fucking authorities! Oh wait, I don’t want to draw attention to my lab…” The heavy cursing and mention of a drug lab here is wryly tongue in cheek.
Moreover, rapper Dalek provides a cartoonish painting finely composed with ambiguous shadows in the backdrop and Barry McGee’s floating heads with oversized mouths and miniature ears in a red psychedelic setting hangs high upon a wall on a huge rectangular surface. Ed Templeton’s racy photographs of youth (a teenager flashing his dick or another with a swastika drawn on his chest) and Dash’s series of polaroids illustrating debauchery among young friends-capricious close-ups of bruises, nudity, vomiting, whimsical pictures of wild partying, drug-taking, lesbianism, girls spreading their legs, a guy sniffing another one’s penis and, randomly, a nice old couple in a diner-all shed light on the excess and wantonness of urban youth.
A legendary graf artist, Futura, places a sequence of mini-skateboards adorned with skeleton figures and international newspaper clippings, while Jo Jackson, on a creamy, peaceful light blue background, paints skeleton heads mounted on top of each other, admonishing an impending doom. Director of the cult flick Kids, Larry Clark poses a blatant skateboard piece (decorated with a luscious picture of a nude bent-over woman exposing her genitalia) concurs with the “Free Basin” being used right in front of it, all the while using barefaced, unabashed humor.
While one can wonder if the presence of a skate bowl in a gallery can distract viewers from paying attention to the art, it’s a genuine installation with a welcoming title-it may be an open invite for anyone to come see and discover-or even an interactive performance piece that supplies the space with enhanced dynamics. Although the pervasiveness of this artistic “movement” (if it can be so-called) is rather limited and may attract a certain kind of viewers (young hipsters, skate aficionados, counterculture devotees, city bohos…), it is nonetheless an artistic rejuvenation that may deliver a fresh, new perspective for the young and old alike.
Session the Bowl is on view through February 1 at Deitch Projects, 18 Wooster St., NYC. Call 212-343-7300 for more info.
Check out OBJEX Artspace in Miami for a similar brand of this art “subculture.” Visit their site at www.objexartspace.com.

Omar Sommereyns can be reached at SOASIS@aol.com

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are transforming weather forecasts by creating a seasonal for ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

The University of Miami football program announced Tuesday that it has agreed to a home football gam ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...