Letter to the Editor

To the Editor:

A varsity intercollegiate women’s fast-pitch softball team should be included among UM’s sports teams. It is long, long overdue.
About fifteen years ago the public high schools here switched their girls softball teams from slow pitch to fast pitch, because it’s a better sport and so that local high school girls could apply for college athletic scholarships.
Since then, Florida International University has competed impressively in intercollegiate women’s fast-pitch softball, with awesome local players. So has Miami-Dade Community College.
The Miami area has become the nation’s biggest source of young baseball (Alex Rodriguez, Jose Canseco) – and now it’s becoming the biggest source of high school women softball players as well, many of who stay in Florida to play their college ball.
Go and watch high school or FIU teams play this spring. You’ll see excellent, well-coached women softball players at well-attended games. They should be playing for UM.

Andy Golan
UM Alumnus

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Former University of Miami football and NFL star player Jonathan Vilma made a splash in South Florid ...

University of Miami tailback/fullback Trayone Gray, a popular fifth-year senior out of Miami Carol C ...

When Mother’s Day came around back in May, Keontra Smith knew it was time to unveil his college comm ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

A UM researcher has determined that children exposed to traumatic events exhibit pains that if left ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews revealed Thursday the team's schedule ...

The Canes defense is full of big names like Shaq Quarterman and Jaquan Johnson, but these players ha ...

Quick Hits gives University of Miami volleyball fans an inside scoop on the latest additions to the ...

Head coach Mark Richt, all 10 assistant coaches and more than 50 players met with the media at the N ...

The Miami Hurricanes were under the lights at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday, closing out the opening we ...