Fiesta Bowl loss won’t stop us next time

I have a confession to make to all the disappointed, moping fans out there. The Fiesta Bowl loss is all my fault. You see I am very superstious and during a party I lost one of my good luck charms. Actually it accidently went missing. So it is my fault entirely. For the last week and a half I have heard everyone blame the Fiesta Bowl loss on everyone from the ref to the guy that painted the field and in between a bunch of our players. I hear constantly “it’s too bad they lost,” or “I can’t believe they lost.”
Who are they? The football team? I am assuming since they were the ones everyone saw on national television, but the loss happened to all of us. We lost, as a team, as a school, and as fans of the greatest team in college football.
Many things went wrong on January 3rd, but the players played their hearts out. The team put forth a courageous effort. They mustered up all they could even after a devastating cheap shot to Willis McGahee’s knee. They hung in there. And granted many of us will go on believing we were robbed, and while I agree, we have to stop blaming the team, the refs, or anyone else.
It was not Dorsey or McGahee getting injured that lost that game for us. And while I am disappointed with a few calls and lack there of during overtime it is not the referee’s fault either. We had a chance to even the score and it just was not our time.
Now the best thing we can do is focus on next season and how OUR Hurricanes are going to come back with a vengeance and rip apart every single one of our opponents on the way to the 2004 Sugar Bowl. There is no use lamenting on what could have been. I am still upset that we were not able to go to the championship in 2000 but I realize that every year is a new season, a fresh start, with a wide open opportunity for the best team in the country (that’s us) to win a sixth, seventh, and more championships.
Through thick and thin it is always great to be a Miami Hurricane and I hope that the enthusiasm and pride we had for our team did not die on January 3rd. This bowl game was a disappointing end to a wonderful season and if you need someone to blame for the game, blame me…I lost my beads.

Denise Kolb is a senior.

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...