Campus Calendar and News Briefs

TODAY

Come discover Miami’s salsa vibe at UM’s own SalsaCraze. Starting today, classes will be held in the UC I-Lounge every Friday from 6 – 7:30 p.m. Cost is $15 for the semester. SalsaCraze is staffed with 28 experienced instructors and offers salsa levels ranging from beginner to master. Classes start promptly, so please arrive 15 minutes early. For more information, visit the SalsaCraze Web site, http://www.salsacraze.net.

Herencia will be showing at the Cosford Cinema at 7:30 and 9:15 p.m. In a Buenos Aires suburb, 60-year-old Olinda is an Italian immigrant who runs a small restaurant. Her life is routine until a young German tourist, bereft of belongings and forlorn from a lost love, begs Olinda for shelter. In this chance encounter, both of them are about to make an amazing discovery.

SATURDAY JANUARY 18
The free, two-day Beaux Arts Festival of Art takes place at the Lowe Art Museum this Saturday and Sunday. Over 150,000 art patrons come to view and purchase fine art from 250 juried exhibitors.

MONDAY JANUARY 20
Men’s Basketball vs. UCONN at 7 p.m. in the Convocation Center. Wear your beach attire and your most creative sign.

TUESDAY JANUARY 21
Red Dragon will be showing at the Cosford Cinema at 8 and 10 p.m. Students get in free with a Cane Card.

THURSDAY JANUARY 23
Pass by COSO and HP’s SPRING’TING Involvement Fair from 11-2 p.m. on the UC Patio.

FRIDAY JANUARY 24
Come learn about the Peace Corps in an information session and video presentation from 12 to 1 p.m. in UC 241. Contact Erin Seiler at 305-284-5398 for more information.

Metropolis will be showing at the Cosford Cinema at 7:15 p.m. Fritz Lang’s epic drama of life in the year 2026 has not been seen in its original version since a brief run in 1927. German archivists, working with material gathered from all surviving versions and using new digital technologies, have restored the film to as close to the original version as we are ever likely to see. The dazzling sets and tens of thousands of extras provide the backdrop for a wild combination of love story and political allegory of man versus machine.

SATURDAY JANUARY 25
Women’s Basketball vs. Syracuse at 7 p.m. in the Convocation Center. Wear your beach attire and get free pizza.

TUESDAY JANUARY 28
Women’s Basketball vs. Virginia Tech at 7 p.m. in the Convocation Center. It’s also Residential Hall Night: greatest attendance wins free pizza.

THURSDAY JANUARY 30
The Hurricane baseball team and head coach Jim Morris invite you to the 2003 “First Pitch” Banquet featuring guest speaker Ron Fraser, today at the Radisson Mart Plaza Hotel, Royal Poinciana Ballroom, 711 NW. 72nd Ave. The banquet will start with cocktails at 6 p.m. and dinner at 7 p.m. Price per person is $70, or $560 per table of eight. All reservations must be made in advance. The registration deadline is Thursday, Jan. 23. For more information call 305-284-6699.

TUESDAY FEBRUARY 11
Are you in the process of selecting a major or considering a change of major? Are you possibly interested in adding a major? Toppel Career Center will have a Majors Fair from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the Whitten University Center lower lounge. Come talk with faculty representatives from these schools and colleges: Arts & Sciences, Business, Communication, Education and Nursing. The Pre-Law and Honors Programs will also have representatives to whom you will be able to talk.

The UC first floor Information desk and Lost and Found will now be open until 9 p.m. Monday through Friday.

A new crepe stand is open for breakfast and lunch in front of the UC, by the Rock.

The U.S. Post Office Contract Station located in the UC now accepts all major credit and debit cards for all retail postal services.

The UM Alumni Association is requesting nominations for books written by UM faculty and staff for the 2003 Book Awards Program, designed to raise awareness about UM by honoring high school juniors across the country who have exhibited outstanding leadership and academic excellence. Each year recipients receive a book chosen by the Alumni Association at their school’s awards ceremony. If you are interested in being considered, contact Tricia Dingler at 305-284-2872 by Friday, Jan. 31.

The Sexual Assault Response Team (SART), UM’s 24-hour campus sexual assault hotline, is looking for warm, empathic and mature individuals to serve as advocates. If you are a graduate student, faculty or staff member and would like more information about joining this team, call Dr. Carolyn Eberhardt at the Counseling Center, 305-284-5511.

Songwriters and music publishers Arthur Braun and Richard Gillinson will host weekly Songwriting Workshops at the Boca Raton Community Center, 150 Crawford Blvd., in Boca Raton. These workshops, beginning on Jan. 25, will encourage and cultivate songwriting skills in the community. For information, call 561-999-9658.

The National Endowment for the Humanities is offering up to 15 internships in Washington, D.C., for summer 2003. College students entering their junior or senior year in fall 2003 are eligible. NEH interns receive $4,000 for 10 weeks of work. Past interns have written articles for Humanities magazine, researched emerging fields in the humanities and developed web-based tools for gathering humanities-related information. The application deadline is Jan. 21, 2003. Applications are being accepted online at http://www.neh.gov.

Renowned jazz recording artist and UM alumna Carmen Lundy will perform with the UM Concert Jazz Band, led by Director Dante Luciani, Saturday, January 25, 2003 at 8 p.m. at UM’s Maurice Gusman Hall in the Coral Gables campus. A native of Miami, Lundy, had been called “One of the world’s greatest jazz vocalists” by Blues and Soul Magazine in England. As a student at the University of Miami, she studied opera but soon discovered her love for jazz. She eventually graduated with a degree in studio music and jazz. Ticket prices for the concert are $10 and $5 for students and senior citizens. For more information, call the UM School of Music at 305.284.4940 or log on to www.music.miami.edu.