Sports Briefs

Men’s Basketball

Earnest Crumbley scored 25 points and hit a school-record eight 3-pointers, as Florida Atlantic beat Miami for the first time Tuesday, 74-73 in overtime.
Miami’s James Jones, who led the Hurricanes with 19 points, missed the final shot in overtime to give FAU its first win in 16 tries against Miami.
The Owls (4-3) scored the first six points of overtime, and held Miami to 1-of-5 shooting from the field in the extra period.
Jeff Cowans scored 12 points and Nick Neumann added 10 for the Owls.
Darius Rice and Robert Hite each had 12 for Miami (3-1). Rice played only 25 minutes because of foul trouble.
The loss snapped Miami’s 27-game winning streak against teams from the state of Florida, dating back to 1992, as well as its 20-game regular-season winning streak against non-conference opponents.
Hite could have tied the game for Miami with 47 seconds left in overtime but missed the first of two free throws. The Hurricanes got their last chance by forcing a Crumbley turnover with eight seconds left, but Jones missed at the buzzer.
Crumbley scored the Owls’ final nine points of regulation, including a game tying 3-pointer with 44 seconds left. He was 8-of-15 from 3-point range in the game, while Miami missed all but two of its 17 tries from behind the arc.
UM Swimming
Several members of the University of Miami swimming team are competing in the US Open Thursday, Friday, and Saturday in Minneapolis, Minn. The competition began yesterday and resumes today and tomorrow.
Among those competing will be top Hurricanes Christine Williams (Trenton, NJ), Manon Van Rooijen (Westdorpe, Holland), Katalin Ferenczi (Pa’ Pa’, Hungary), and Megan Kinsella (Calgary, Canada).
Van Rooijen will participate in the 200-yard IM, the 100 freestyle and the 200 freestyle. Williams will race in sprint events including the 50, 100 and 200 free, while Ferenczi will compete in the 100 and 200 backstroke.
Kinsella will take to the lanes for the Hurricanes in the 100 and 200 free.