Holiday Inn Students Out

UM checks out of the Inn
The 110 University of Miami students still residing in the Holiday Inn, across from campus on US-1, will have to be out by the end of the calendar year.
The contract between the University and the hotel only lasts until Dec. 20, 2002.
This number is down from 140 students that were housed in the hotel at the beginning of the semester.
Last year, the first year that the University turned to the hotel for temporary housing, only 30 students were placed at the Holiday Inn.
Those living at the Holiday Inn are mostly continuing students whose previous living arrangements fell through or domestic and international transfer students.
Jon Baldessari, Assistant Director of Residence Halls for Marketing, Assignments and Conference Housing, foresees housing stability next semester. He anticipates no difficulty with fitting everybody into a room.
“Based on expected numbers, with the assumed number of cancellations and new students, we should be fine.”
To accommodate the extraordinarily large number of on-campus residents, study lounges in the Stanford and Hecht towers have been converted into permanent dormitories, complete with desks, carpeting and cable modems, at least for the next several years.
“They’re no study lounges anymore,” said Baldessari.
No freshman students were temporarily assigned to the Holiday Inn this semester. Nearly 80 were briefly living in double rooms with resident assistants.
“They were all reassigned within the first two weeks,” said Baldessari.
Because of the high density of students living on campus, students who currently occupy a double room by themselves will be assigned a new roommate for the spring semester.
Students who fail to remove their belongings from one half of their room will be assessed a $50 fine and may be removed from on-campus housing.
Students who wish to stay on campus between the fall and spring semesters must fill out an Intersession Housing Application at the Department of Residence Halls office, in Eaton 153.
Apartment area students may continue to live in their apartments over the winter break because they are already being charged for that period.
However, residents of Mahoney and Pearson must pay $400 to cover the costs of operations for the intersession period. Students who live in Hecht, Stanford, or Eaton and wish to stay over break must find someone in Mahoney, Pearson or the apartments with whom to share a room.
Students who are leaving the University at the end of the fall semester need to fill out a Request for Release form to receive a refund of their housing deposit, which also may be found in the office of the Department of Residence Halls.
Residence halls close at noon on Thursday, Dec. 19 for non-graduating students.
Students graduating in December must leave their dorms or apartments by noon the following day.
Effective January 2003, the State of Florida will require that all students living on campus must either document receipt of meningitis and hepatitis-B immunization or sign a waiver that they do not wish to be vaccinated.
The Department of Residence Halls did not give information on how the housing situation will be for the fall semester of 2003.
Housing sign-up for the fall will be in late March and early April.

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

The Miami Hurricanes are primed to have another nice weekend in the NFL Draft, at least according to ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos already has displayed a penchant for giving thoughtful, substantiv ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The Canes are ranked for the second consecutive week, cracking the top 25 in two different polls rel ...

Nearly 10,000 fans got a glimpse of things to come at Camping World Stadium ...

Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey, Jr. have been selected to receive the University of Miami Sports Hall of ...

Miami Athletics has become one of the leaders nationally in developing its sports psychology departm ...

Images from the University of Miami women's tennis team's run to the ACC Championship semi ...