Convocation Center welcomes Coldplay

British rock group Coldplay is set to bring brainfreeze to fans at UM’s new Convocation Center on Jan. 22.
Coldplay has enjoyed success with hits such as “Trouble” and “Yellow” from their critically lauded debut album, Parachutes. Their latest album, A Rush of Blood to the Head, was released in August. The singles “In My Head” and “Clocks” are currently receiving air play throughout the country.
As the second stop on the band’s North American tour, this will be the first concert event for the center and is being met with great optimism and anticipation, according to organizers and students.
“Coldplay should be an exciting concert for the students,” said Christi Soltz, director of marketing at the Convocation Center. “[We are] proud to bring this caliber of event to the University’s campus.”
“I’m overjoyed and actually surprised that they’re coming,” freshman Ayelet Regev said. “I’m definitely going to go.”
“[Coldplay] will be amazing because they are genuine artists,” Regev said. “Their music is more instrumental than most and what you see will be authentic.”
UM students are not the only prospective attendees, as the concert is open to all.
“I’m making plans to come down and see them,” said Renzo Diaz, a freshman at the University of Florida and avid fan. “Unlike the large majority of rock acts today that are hyped up to celebrity status only to become part of a fad, Coldplay seems to be one of the very few bands that will stand the test of time.”
WVUM 90.5 is currently running spots on the concert and plans on doing ticket giveaways.
“To tell you the truth I’m not too thrilled that we are promoting this show. After all, we don’t play Coldplay’s music on WVUM,” said Brian Hunker, promotions director at WVUM. “They get played on Y-100 and many other Clear Channel stations across the country.”
Hunker said that, in the past, the radio station has stopped playing REM, Nirvana and the White Stripes, among others, because they became well-known musical groups.
“It’s just that once bands break through certain barriers we get started on the next batch of worthy unknowns,” Hunker said.
Besides a concert hall, the Convocation Center is also the future home of Hurricane basketball and is located across from the University Metrorail Station. Jan. 4, 2003 marks the first men’s basketball game to be held there, as they go up against North Carolina.
Concert tickets – covering parking and tax – are available on campus at the UC Ticketmaster window from 12 to 2 p.m.The cost is $32.75. For more information, visit www.ticketmaster.com.

Christina Guzman can be contacted at christina_mongoose@hotmail.com.

So what’s UM getting with this recruiting class, among players already committed, most or all of who ...

On the eve of the early signing period, the new University of Miami defensive coordinators met the m ...

The early signing period is finally here and the Miami Hurricanes’ class is, at least for now, disap ...

Photo Gallery: UM football availabiilty | Tuesday, December 18, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Zach McCloud said he never doubted whether he would return to the Miami Hurricanes for his senior se ...

Feelings of depression and anxiety rise during the holidays, but there’s plenty you can do to keep u ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

Things have changed in Coral Gables since the end of the regular season, but there will be a familia ...

Canes and Houston Baptist play at 7 p.m. Wednesday at Watsco Center. ...

The No. 24/23 Miami women's basketball team will begin play at the Florida Sunshine Classic in ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Miami women's basketball team is ranked in the top 25 of both major national polls this wee ...