Convocation Center welcomes Coldplay

British rock group Coldplay is set to bring brainfreeze to fans at UM’s new Convocation Center on Jan. 22.
Coldplay has enjoyed success with hits such as “Trouble” and “Yellow” from their critically lauded debut album, Parachutes. Their latest album, A Rush of Blood to the Head, was released in August. The singles “In My Head” and “Clocks” are currently receiving air play throughout the country.
As the second stop on the band’s North American tour, this will be the first concert event for the center and is being met with great optimism and anticipation, according to organizers and students.
“Coldplay should be an exciting concert for the students,” said Christi Soltz, director of marketing at the Convocation Center. “[We are] proud to bring this caliber of event to the University’s campus.”
“I’m overjoyed and actually surprised that they’re coming,” freshman Ayelet Regev said. “I’m definitely going to go.”
“[Coldplay] will be amazing because they are genuine artists,” Regev said. “Their music is more instrumental than most and what you see will be authentic.”
UM students are not the only prospective attendees, as the concert is open to all.
“I’m making plans to come down and see them,” said Renzo Diaz, a freshman at the University of Florida and avid fan. “Unlike the large majority of rock acts today that are hyped up to celebrity status only to become part of a fad, Coldplay seems to be one of the very few bands that will stand the test of time.”
WVUM 90.5 is currently running spots on the concert and plans on doing ticket giveaways.
“To tell you the truth I’m not too thrilled that we are promoting this show. After all, we don’t play Coldplay’s music on WVUM,” said Brian Hunker, promotions director at WVUM. “They get played on Y-100 and many other Clear Channel stations across the country.”
Hunker said that, in the past, the radio station has stopped playing REM, Nirvana and the White Stripes, among others, because they became well-known musical groups.
“It’s just that once bands break through certain barriers we get started on the next batch of worthy unknowns,” Hunker said.
Besides a concert hall, the Convocation Center is also the future home of Hurricane basketball and is located across from the University Metrorail Station. Jan. 4, 2003 marks the first men’s basketball game to be held there, as they go up against North Carolina.
Concert tickets – covering parking and tax – are available on campus at the UC Ticketmaster window from 12 to 2 p.m.The cost is $32.75. For more information, visit www.ticketmaster.com.

Christina Guzman can be contacted at christina_mongoose@hotmail.com.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...

The University of Miami soccer team closes out action in the Tar Heel state with a match against thi ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami Hurricanes fell in their tri-meet with Georgia Tech and Notre Dame Saturday afternoon, dro ...