Convocation Center welcomes Coldplay

British rock group Coldplay is set to bring brainfreeze to fans at UM’s new Convocation Center on Jan. 22.
Coldplay has enjoyed success with hits such as “Trouble” and “Yellow” from their critically lauded debut album, Parachutes. Their latest album, A Rush of Blood to the Head, was released in August. The singles “In My Head” and “Clocks” are currently receiving air play throughout the country.
As the second stop on the band’s North American tour, this will be the first concert event for the center and is being met with great optimism and anticipation, according to organizers and students.
“Coldplay should be an exciting concert for the students,” said Christi Soltz, director of marketing at the Convocation Center. “[We are] proud to bring this caliber of event to the University’s campus.”
“I’m overjoyed and actually surprised that they’re coming,” freshman Ayelet Regev said. “I’m definitely going to go.”
“[Coldplay] will be amazing because they are genuine artists,” Regev said. “Their music is more instrumental than most and what you see will be authentic.”
UM students are not the only prospective attendees, as the concert is open to all.
“I’m making plans to come down and see them,” said Renzo Diaz, a freshman at the University of Florida and avid fan. “Unlike the large majority of rock acts today that are hyped up to celebrity status only to become part of a fad, Coldplay seems to be one of the very few bands that will stand the test of time.”
WVUM 90.5 is currently running spots on the concert and plans on doing ticket giveaways.
“To tell you the truth I’m not too thrilled that we are promoting this show. After all, we don’t play Coldplay’s music on WVUM,” said Brian Hunker, promotions director at WVUM. “They get played on Y-100 and many other Clear Channel stations across the country.”
Hunker said that, in the past, the radio station has stopped playing REM, Nirvana and the White Stripes, among others, because they became well-known musical groups.
“It’s just that once bands break through certain barriers we get started on the next batch of worthy unknowns,” Hunker said.
Besides a concert hall, the Convocation Center is also the future home of Hurricane basketball and is located across from the University Metrorail Station. Jan. 4, 2003 marks the first men’s basketball game to be held there, as they go up against North Carolina.
Concert tickets – covering parking and tax – are available on campus at the UC Ticketmaster window from 12 to 2 p.m.The cost is $32.75. For more information, visit www.ticketmaster.com.

Christina Guzman can be contacted at christina_mongoose@hotmail.com.

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...

Head coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the ninth annual Miami Women's Basketball Fantasy Ca ...

The yearly Miami Fall Invite will take place Friday through Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center, ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...