Campus Calendar and News Briefs

TODAY

Multicultural Student Affairs presents Finals Fiesta from 4-6 p.m. at the Stanford-Hecht bridge. Finals Fiesta is an informal reception for students of diverse backgrounds to come together and celebrate the end of the semester. Free food from different cultures is provided on a first come, first served basis. A DJ will be providing the sounds. For any questions please contact Assistant Director Nanette Vega at 305-284-2855.

One night only art show, sponsored by Egal Art, featuring works by UM students and live music, at 8 p.m. in the Rainbow Building, 1540 Levante Ave. Call Marc Johnson at 305-441-8684 for more information.

Comedian showing at Cosford at 7:30 p.m. This documentary follows comedian Jerry Seinfeld and another upcoming comedian as they traverse a series of comedy clubs developing their new acts. It is both a hilarious and insightful behind-the-scenes look at the lives of stand-up comedians.

The Bank is showing at Cosford at 9:30 p.m.

DECEMBER 7

Comedian is showing at Cosford at 7:30 p.m.

DECEMBER 8

Connie Payton, wife of former Chicago Bear Walter Payton, will appear at Borders Books and Music in Miami at 2 p.m. to raise money for the Walter Payton Cancer Foundation. She will be signing copies of her new book, Stronger than Cancer, a compilation of advice, wisdom and stirring accounts of families who have battled the disease. Borders is located at 9205 South Dixie Hwy.

Miami Food Not Bombs will be cooking at the Fischl’s Apartment, on the 1st floor of Pearson, at 12:30 p.m. Call 305-689-9660 for more information.

Comedian is showing at Cosford at 5:30 p.m.

DECEMBER 9

The Wellness Center promotes Stress Less Day. If you are feeling overwhelmed with your studies, we can help. Come and take a load off after a long day of classes with a relaxing time of movies and popcorn in the Wellness Center Atrium. For more information, contact 305-284-6524.

The Sue and Leonard Miller Center for Contemporary Judaic Studies will present the second annual Robert Russell Memorial Foundation Lecture – “Words that Hurt, Words that Heal,” by Rabbi Joseph Telushkin, author of Jewish Literacy, Jewish Humor and Biblical Literacy, from 8 p.m. – 10 p.m. The event will be held at the University of Miami Founders’ Hall on 1550 Brescia Avenue. The lecture is free and open to the public. Refreshments will be served. RSVP to ccjs@miami.edu or 305-284-6882.

DECEMBER 10

Pianist Roswitha Lohmer will perform at the Lowe Art Museum at 8 p.m. For information & reservations, call 305-373-9581 or 305-444-4755. General admission is $10. Program will include Variations in F Minor, Sonata No. 21 in C Major, Allegro con brio, Rhapsody in B Minor, Concert Etude, Nocturne in E Minor, and Four Etudes to be announced.

The Department of Art and Art History is pleased to announce a special sale of ceramic and glass art created by University of Miami faculty, resident artists, alumni and students. These special items will be available for purchase and proceeds from the sale of UM art will mutually benefit the artists and the Ceramics and Art Glass programs at the University of Miami. A reception for Ceramic & Glass Artists will be held on Friday, Dec. 6 from 6:30 – 9 p.m. at The Gilded Hand, 165 Aragon Avenue (across from the Collonade Hotel) in Coral Gables. Contact The Gilded Hand at (305) 442-1445 for more information.

Due to an expected high turnout of students for the Virginia Tech vs. UM football game, the entire regular student section will be reserved for UM students only. However, tickets in a special East End Zone section will be sold to UM students (for their guests) before the general public can purchase them, and the students will be allowed to sit in that East End Zone with their guests by simply showing their valid UM ID.

The UM Center for Research on Sport in Society presents the Title IX 30th Anniversary Symposium, on Dec. 6 from 8:30 a.m. – 6 p.m., and Dec. 7 from 8:30 a.m. – noon, at the Cosford Cinema. RSVP is required and only 100 spaces are available for each session. Contact the Center for Research on Sport in Society (CRSS) at 305-284-3690 or crss@miami.edu. This symposium will mark the milestone 30th anniversary of Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972. The scholarly symposium is aimed at examining and discussing both significant accomplishments and remaining challenges to gender equity. Topics that will be covered in the two-day symposium include “Title IX, Sports and Career Opportunities for Women,” “Title IX and Women of Color and Sport” and “Gender and Science.”

The Honors Program would like to announce that Ms. Devi Sridhar, a senior Honors student who plans to be graduated in May, has been named the 2002-2003 recipient of the Ford Motor Company/Gold Key International Honor Society Undergraduate Scholarship.

Do you know any dynamic undergraduate students? If so, nominate them for the November Student Leader of the Month. The deadline is 5 p.m. Dec. 6, and forms can be found in UC 209. Nominated students should meet the following criteria: driven to find the best within themselves and others, giving of themselves without regard to recognition or rewards, a model of the ideals of integrity and character, and aspiring to make the University of Miami a stronger community.

Recently, UM students and community members have taken to the street for a series of high-impact Greenpeace demonstrations in front of ExxonMobil’s Latin American Headquarters and the Mobil station near the UM campus, demanding that the company stop sabotaging international efforts to stop global warming. Activists handed out mock indictments to employees as they left the office for the day. On Tuesday, 50 activists gathered at the ExxonMobil station near UM in a massive protest against the company in anticipation of International Day of Action.