UM defeats state foe

The season debut of Tamara James was a huge success. The freshman led the lady ‘Canes with 20 points and 21 rebounds in a 60-49 victory Friday night at the Knight Sports Complex against South Florida.
The ‘Canes got the victory despite playing without two of its better players in Chanivia Broussard and Shaquana Wilkins. However, the team out hustled South Florida on its way to the victory.
“The first game we showed a tremendous amount of effort. That is what you ask for, you ask for your kids to play hard in the beginning of the year and our kids definitely did that,” said head coach Ferne Labati.
The freshman Tamara James gave a heroic effort. Playing on a bad ankle, James led the way with her huge performance.
“She was huge. She is only going to get better. She is a gamer, she loves to compete, she plays with her whole heart and soul.” said Labati.
As for James, she was just trying to do what she could do to help her team. With two players out, someone had to step up and play well. James was that person.
“I came out and played hard and did what I had to do. Every opportunity that I saw the ball, I just tried to grab it,” said James.
Miami also got a double-double by Alicia Hartlaub, who had 10 points and 10 rebounds. However, senior star Megan Saake struggled, shooting just two for 9 from the field, and struggling with her shots throughout the game. The last pre-season game had also seen Saake struggle with her shooting. However, her coach still believes she will get the job done.
“She’ll be ok. She is under a tremendous amount of pressure with two of our key players being out. She’ll be fine, she’s rushing her shot right now,” said Labati.
On the negative side, the ‘Canes did turn the ball over 30 times and shot just 13 for 22 from the free throw line, which are two things the team will really need to improve on.
“We really felt that we had to control the tempo, and it got away from us in the first half….we only played seven players, and that had a tremendous effect on the free throws, we will definitely be in a better position in the future. We are a good free throw shooting team, it was definitely fatigue tonight,” said Labati.
If the ‘Canes can keep the turnovers down and keep playing well, this team could go far into the post season. With Broussard and Wilkins expected to return to the lineup, the team should only get better.

You can reach Darren Grossman at drg215@aol.com.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team will begin her fall campaign Thursday a ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...