UM chooses winner of UM Idol

UM students and Cane Records voted Matt Feld as their choice for the UM Idol winner this past Wednesday.
Feld was voted into the top spot after weeks of competing with over 50 singers who auditioned.
“I just started singing recently,” Feld said. “The first time I sang publicly was at my high school’s basketball game about a year ago.”
Originally from West Palm Beach, Feld attended Hofstra University in New York last year. He asked to sing a song with the house band at a club when he was home over the summer. The band happened to have two UM School of Music graduates in it who recognized potential in Feld.
They directed him to Professor Larry Lapin, the director of the jazz vocal program at UM.
“He sings great,” Lapin said. “And we always need guys in the program.”
Feld was accepted to the UM School of Music two days before classes began this fall.
Since the beginning of the semester, Feld has been performing at clubs and other venues, including Titanic, every weekend, perfecting his performance skills.
He sings with the Fifth Avenue Band, a professional wedding and social event band, and with his own R&B band.
“R&B is my main influence,” Feld said. “I love Musiq Soulchild, Brian McKnight and Ginuwine. I love hip-hop, too.”
As the first UM Idol, Feld received a year-long record contract with Cane Records. He will record a six-song CD to be released next year.
“I’ve got three originals ready to record,” he said. “Everybody keeps asking me what songs I want to cover. I’m not sure I want to cover any songs – I’m not sure yet what will be on the album.”
Feld says he’s not the type to hog the spotlight, but so far he is handling his new-found fame well.
“My best friend’s step-mom asked me for my autograph,” he said, “in case I make it really big.”
Feld is mostly excited about the prospect of having his own CD and getting to make music with other great musicians.
“I love singing,” he said. “I’m going to sing till I die.”
His advice to other performers: “If you love it, go do it. That’s all you can do.”

Jaclyn Lisenby can be contacted at jlisenby2001@yahoo.com.

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ If you ever wondered what the Hurricanes would look like if ...

Demetrius Jackson has come through again for his Overtown neighborhood. For the second year in a row ...

Days after praising Mark Richt, Clemson grad transfer quarterback Kelly Bryant has canceled his Frid ...

Mark Richt kept his word. On Thursday, two days before the Miami Hurricanes defeated Virginia Tech 3 ...

The season is evaporating before our eyes. And nothing made that more obvious than University of Mia ...

Erin Kobetz, director of Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center’s Firefighter Cancer Initiative, disc ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...