News Briefs

Enter the Elie Wiesel Prize in Ethics 2003 Essay Contest–first prize is $5000. This contest is open to undergraduate full-time juniors and seniors. Additional information, guidelines and an entry form can be found at www.eliewieselfoundation.org. Contest deadline for submission is Monday, Dec. 2, 2002. For more information contact the Honors Program at 305-284-5384.

With the recent re-opening of the second floor for parking in the Ponce de Leon Garage, all holders of current UM parking permits and temporary passes are welcome to these additional spaces. Stay tuned for future updates on the imminent completion of this expanded facility. As a reminder, the temporary parking lots located behind the Lowe Art and across from the Daystar Health Center are scheduled to close on Dec. 7.

FIU, UM and The Working Group for Pre-Modern Studies presents “Mouth of the River,” on Friday, Dec. 6 and Saturday, Dec. 7 at 8 p.m. at the Wertheim Performing Arts Center on the FIU University Park Campus. Tickets are $5 for students, $8 for faculty/staff and $10 general admission. Seating by reservation only. For reservations call 305-348-3789, or for more information call 305-348-3358.

Due to an expected high turnout of students for the Virginia Tech vs. UM football game, the entire regular student section will be reserved for UM students only. However, tickets in a special East End Zone section will be sold to UM students (for their guests) before the general public can purchase them, and the students will be allowed to sit in that East End Zone with their guests by simply showing their valid UM ID.

Global Spectrum is proud to be the exclusive provider of food and beverage for the University of Miami Convocation Center. Global Spectrum seeks to provide qualified non-profit groups and civic organizations a unique fundraising opportunity. Providing volunteers to assist with concession stand operations as cashiers, vendors and stand workers can help groups meet and exceed their fundraising goals while ensuring the best possible service to our patrons. The program provides community exposure for the groups as well as community service experience for student volunteers. For more information contact University of Miami Convocation Center, Global Spectrum, PO Box 248281, Coral Gables, FL 33124. Phone: 305-284-8246 or email:eshoup@miami.edu.

UM mascot Sebastian the Ibis needs your vote for Capital One’s All American Mascot Challenge. Make Sebastian the National Mascot of the Year. Your vote counts! Check out the 12 mascots in the race and vote now for your favorite! Polls close Dec. 20, 2002 at 11:59 p.m. ET. The winner will be announced Jan. 1, 2003. Go to www.capitalonebowl.com/ to vote.

Thanksgiving Day is a time to offer thanks, but some would say being thankful shouldn’t be limited to just one day. According to the latest scientific research, gratitude might be something we ought to practice throughout the rest of the year.
“Religions and philosophies have long embraced gratitude as an indispensable manifestation of virtue, and an integral component of health, wholeness and well-being,” says Michael McCullough, associate professor of psychology at the University of Miami and one of the investigators on the Research Project on Gratitude and Thankfulness: Dimensions and Perspectives of Gratitude.
So far, several gratitude studies conducted by McCullough, co-investigator Robert Emmons of the University of California, Davis and colleagues have found compelling evidence that being grateful had a positive impact on people’s psychological and physical well being.
The long-term research project, which is supported by a grant from the John Templeton Foundation, entails three main areas: (1) developing methods to cultivate gratitude in daily life, (2) developing a measure to reliably assess differences in an individual’s disposition towards gratefulness and (3) designing experimental studies to distinguish the causes and consequences of gratitude and indebtedness.

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Former University of Miami football and NFL star player Jonathan Vilma made a splash in South Florid ...

University of Miami tailback/fullback Trayone Gray, a popular fifth-year senior out of Miami Carol C ...

When Mother’s Day came around back in May, Keontra Smith knew it was time to unveil his college comm ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

A UM researcher has determined that children exposed to traumatic events exhibit pains that if left ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews revealed Thursday the team's schedule ...

The Canes defense is full of big names like Shaq Quarterman and Jaquan Johnson, but these players ha ...

Quick Hits gives University of Miami volleyball fans an inside scoop on the latest additions to the ...

Head coach Mark Richt, all 10 assistant coaches and more than 50 players met with the media at the N ...

The Miami Hurricanes were under the lights at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday, closing out the opening we ...