War raises concern of possible draft

As the Bush administration edges the nation ever closer to war with Iraq, students and parents alike are beginning to worry how military action might affect them and their children, namely by way of a draft.
The Selective Service System, or the draft, hasn’t been used since the Vietnam War. However, as more military plans are being made and more areas need to be monitored by peace-keeping soldiers, more people are needed to serve.
Under the system, all male citizens have to register for the draft within 30 days after they turn 18 and remain registered until they are 25.
This age range means many UM students would likely be required to serve if a draft were enacted.
Captain Jack Miller of UM’s ROTC office is not too worried about a draft.
“At this point it’s unrealistic to say there’ll be a draft,” Miller said.
“But if there is a war, the ROTC is the best way to serve. We train the future military leaders who are least likely to be sent overseas as foot soldiers.”
The ROTC is a cadet training program that offers a free college education and other benefits for a minimum service period to the military.
Also worthy to note is the fact that students who are far into their academic studies are less likely to be drafted than members of the work force, vocational students and people just out of high school, especially if they can show that their studies could someday help the United States (i.e., pharmaceutical research, engineering, etc).
If extensive military action were to be taken on Iraq, the U.S. would first send its Active Army, the people enlisted full-time.
Then it would send the Reserves, a group specially trained for emergency situations. Lastly, the U.S. would send the National Guard, a group that primarily serves on a state level.
If the U.S. still needed people to serve, a draft would be then be considered.
According to the National Guard, a draft is costly and inefficient because it involves training civilians with no experience.
Most UM students seem to be against going to war in general, and are therefore opposed to a draft.
“I’m a pacifist,” said senior Laura Voglesong. “Politicians should work these problems out themselves.”
“If there was a draft, I’d be the first one running to Canada. Well, maybe I’d be in the military band. But I don’t think Iraq is a cause worth fighting for,” graduate student Timothy Brent said.
Member of the Reserve and UM student Lloyd Reshard said, “If there were a draft, I’d already be over there. But going to Iraq is not worth it.
“The U.S. should never start a war, but because of my commitment to my country, if I have to go, I’ll go.”
Although women cannot be drafted as soldiers, they can be asked to serve in other ways and may still be needed overseas.
A female member of the National Guard and UM student said, “I won’t be asked to fight in combat because I’m a woman. I’d probably be sent as a nurse or some kind of riot control.”
Concerning a draft, she said, “If we need people, a draft is the only choice. However, the likeliness of a draft is small. It’d have to be World War 3.”
So UM students can rest easy about a draft for a while. However, those who would like to serve their country by joining the ROTC may contact them at 305-284-2870.

Jaclyn Lisenby can be contacted at jlisenby2001@yahoo.com.

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...