Sports Briefs

Men’s Tennis
University of Miami athletic director Paul Dee has named Bryan Getz the interim head men’s tennis coach. Getz replaces former head coach Jay Berger who resigned to accept a United States Tennis Association National Coaching position.
Getz has been the assistant coach under Berger for the last two seasons helping guide the Hurricanes to consecutive NCAA Tournament appearances including a Sweet 16 appearance in 2001. That season Miami also claimed its seventh BIG EAST Championship.
Last season Miami finished 12-10, advanced to the NCAA tournament for the sixth consecutive season, and ended the season with No. 36 national ranking. Todd Widom, ranked 13th in the 2002-03 preseason rankings, garnered All-America honors as a freshman last season reaching the round of 16 at the NCAA Men’s Singles Championships.
“I want to thank the University of Miami, particularly Athletic Director Paul Dee for the tremendous opportunity that has been bestowed on me,” said Getz. “I plan to maintain the high level of excellence established under coach (Jay) Berger and look forward to guiding our current group of student-athletes to the NCAA tournament for the seventh consecutive season.”
Getz recently coached All-American Todd Widom to the semifinals of the 2002 National Indoors in Dallas, Texas.
“I am very pleased that the University named Bryan (Getz) the head coach,” said Berger. “I have the utmost confidence in his abilities and I know he will continue with the great tradition our program has.”

Men’s Basketball
Head men’s basketball coach Perry Clark announces the signing of 6-6 forward Karron Clarke (Brooklyn, NY), 6-9 forward/center Leonard Harden III (Detroit, MI) and 6-11 center Yankuba Camara (Gambia, West Africa) to national letters of intent to attend the University of Miami next fall.
“I am extremely excited about this recruiting class,” said Clark. “We were able to add what we felt we needed. We became bigger and stronger on the front line and added a top-30 recruit.”
Clarke, ranked 29th in the nation by ESPN, averaged 19 points, 14 rebounds, three blocks and two steals as a junior in leading Lincoln High School in Brooklyn to a 23-5 record and the New York City Public School Championship.
Clark (6-6, 180), a first-team All-City honors last season, is playing his senior season at The Winchendon School in Winchendon, MA.
Harden (6-9, 240), who is playing his junior college basketball at Garden City (KS) Community College, can play forward as well as center is the sixth-ranked junior college center according to Lindy’s.
Camara (6-11, 250), who is playing at Moberly (MO) Area Community College, is a developing talent known for his rebounding and shot blocking ability.

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...