Sports Briefs

Men’s Tennis
University of Miami athletic director Paul Dee has named Bryan Getz the interim head men’s tennis coach. Getz replaces former head coach Jay Berger who resigned to accept a United States Tennis Association National Coaching position.
Getz has been the assistant coach under Berger for the last two seasons helping guide the Hurricanes to consecutive NCAA Tournament appearances including a Sweet 16 appearance in 2001. That season Miami also claimed its seventh BIG EAST Championship.
Last season Miami finished 12-10, advanced to the NCAA tournament for the sixth consecutive season, and ended the season with No. 36 national ranking. Todd Widom, ranked 13th in the 2002-03 preseason rankings, garnered All-America honors as a freshman last season reaching the round of 16 at the NCAA Men’s Singles Championships.
“I want to thank the University of Miami, particularly Athletic Director Paul Dee for the tremendous opportunity that has been bestowed on me,” said Getz. “I plan to maintain the high level of excellence established under coach (Jay) Berger and look forward to guiding our current group of student-athletes to the NCAA tournament for the seventh consecutive season.”
Getz recently coached All-American Todd Widom to the semifinals of the 2002 National Indoors in Dallas, Texas.
“I am very pleased that the University named Bryan (Getz) the head coach,” said Berger. “I have the utmost confidence in his abilities and I know he will continue with the great tradition our program has.”

Men’s Basketball
Head men’s basketball coach Perry Clark announces the signing of 6-6 forward Karron Clarke (Brooklyn, NY), 6-9 forward/center Leonard Harden III (Detroit, MI) and 6-11 center Yankuba Camara (Gambia, West Africa) to national letters of intent to attend the University of Miami next fall.
“I am extremely excited about this recruiting class,” said Clark. “We were able to add what we felt we needed. We became bigger and stronger on the front line and added a top-30 recruit.”
Clarke, ranked 29th in the nation by ESPN, averaged 19 points, 14 rebounds, three blocks and two steals as a junior in leading Lincoln High School in Brooklyn to a 23-5 record and the New York City Public School Championship.
Clark (6-6, 180), a first-team All-City honors last season, is playing his senior season at The Winchendon School in Winchendon, MA.
Harden (6-9, 240), who is playing his junior college basketball at Garden City (KS) Community College, can play forward as well as center is the sixth-ranked junior college center according to Lindy’s.
Camara (6-11, 250), who is playing at Moberly (MO) Area Community College, is a developing talent known for his rebounding and shot blocking ability.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ Hurricanes fans aren’t the only ones exasperated by t ...

If Saturday wasn’t a turning point for N’Kosi Perry, it was maybe the start of one — at least this i ...

The question for Manny Diaz was simple, and the defensive coordinator’s answer was simple, too — sor ...

The University of Miami’s popular turnover chain was spotlighted in a promotional video for February ...

The evidence was glaring. On Monday night, Miami true freshman running back Lorenzo Lingard posted o ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

A mobile museum coming to UM this week will showcase relics of the African-American experience. ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

The Canes have two games left in the 2018 regular season and they have one goal in mind: finish the ...

2018 NCAA Tournament programs match up at 7 p.m. at Watsco Center. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team will host No. 19 Marquette in a top-25 matchup Thursda ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced the University of Miami's 2019 tra ...

The Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 24 nationally in this week's As ...