miam book fair feature: Ambitions as a RUFF WRITER

The only thing steamier than a Vicki Hendricks novel is the sticky air of a summer night in Miami. When the Florida-based mystery writer combines the former with the latter, the effect is mesmerizing. Always with a hint of tropical flavor, Hendricks’ sultry novels take various settings, ranging from a Miami dry cleaner to a boat on the Bahamas. The smoldering world of Hendricks’ books transcends her fiction-a self-proclaimed “thrill seeker,” she relishes extreme sports, raw emotion, and in general, life on the cusp of danger.
Hendricks has penned such novels as Miami Purity, Iguana Love, and Voluntary Madness. She is one of over 250 authors participating in the annual Miami Book Fair International, a convention of international writers and book lovers.
We caught up with Vicki Hendricks to discuss the book fair, skydiving, and the “weirdos” who seem to crawl the Miami streets.

Q: Were you born a writer, or was it an interest you picked up later on in life?

Hendricks: I think I always wanted to be a writer, although I thought that dream was impossible. I thought all the “real” writers had come and gone centuries back! I tried to write, and in my 20s and 30s, I basically wrote a lot of notes. Back then I was teaching literature instead of writing, so I always loved books. It wasn’t until my late 30s that I started to write-I didn’t know how to at first. No one realizes that the book you see on the shelves is a seamless, polished product. It’s not quite so simple once you try it. Learning the techniques of writing scenes and characters really helped me get started, as well as having deadlines.

Q: Your last book was Sky Blues, which was released in February. Your next novel is called Cruel Poetry. Can you tell us a little about that?

VH: I have a few chapters still to write. My others are all written in first person narrator and confined to a small scope. This one has a broader scope with three different narrators, and lots of sex and violence. It’s basically about prostitutes and the people who are obsessed with her.

Q: The Miami Book Fair International starts today. What’s your involvement?
VH: I’m on a panel with fellow author Carolina Garcia-Aguilera, and we’re speaking at three o’ clock on Saturday, Nov. 23. We’re going to read a little bit and talk about particular novels. And I always manage to get some skydiving talk in there!

Q: I understand you teach writing at Broward Community College. Is teaching kind of a letdown for you, compared with writing your own stuff?

VH: Not at all! I’ve been teaching for 20 years, and I only began writing 12 years ago.

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...