Sipping on Crystal in my Bentley with my new Rolex

Is hip-hop today materialistic or what? Is that a reflection of the American culture? And what is up with all of the name-dropping and label checking that goes on in hip-hop songs? Hmmm, this calls for some examination.
With the exceptions of Eminem, and maybe a handful of others, I can’t think of any current rapper that doesn’t chock-fill their songs and albums with numerous references to $100,000 or more cars, $1000 bottles of champagne, designer clothing labels, and luxury homes on the ocean. And in their videos, they are often seen rapping and dancing in front of these pricey playthings or decked out wearing them.
For instance, Trina, bless her heart, Miami’s own spitfire rap queen, whose latest album I swear drops at least a half-dozen references to designer clothes per song, goes off about every luxury car in the book. “Traded in the Lex for the G5 Benz,” she boasts. “F**k a Beamer, got me a Benz and some rims,” she happily fires off. Hey, more power to you, sister. But look at her partner in rhymes, Trick Daddy’s latest song “Thug Holiday.” It’s a sad, important, and dare I say it, emotional slice of life from a guy who’s survived his past and hopes others will do the same, without dropping a single brand name. So from that, we know it’s possible to make meaningful music sans the vanity and attitude.
Now I don’t mean to pick on Trina. I am a fan of hers, but she was a hip-hop artist, just one of many, who immediately came to the top of my mind. The way I see it, if somebody wants to brag about all of the nicer things in life that they have over the masses of us who don’t, that’s fine with me. But when the theme gets played out to death, like it has been for a while now, it starts to sound just plain annoying and juvenile. I realize this is what money and fame can buy and that a lot of rappers are fortunate enough to come into success from difficult backgrounds. Maybe rapping about the better things in life now is easier than talking about tough times in the past for some. Either that, or they tell us what we want to hear, and we seem to want to hear about beautiful and expensive things. Anyway, I don’t really have the room to assume, since I’m not them and I don’t know them or their lives.
It does seem, however, like one can almost follow a simple formula nowadays and become an instant rap success. Take these following references: Sipping Cristal in club VIP’s + anything by Gucci + 22-inch chrome rims + a certain slang term for females = big hit on your hands! Now from that, I have this following rhyme, all my idea, made up on the spot: I eat sushi, rock frames by Gucci, hit the coochie, not that ho Susan Lucci.
But please, don’t get me wrong. I happen to be a huge fan of hip-hop. I know I also happen to be a terrible freestyler as just witnessed, but that’s beside the point. I would just like to hold on to a glimmer of hope that there’s something else maybe a little more urgent or important going on in our world to rhyme about. Is that too much to ask?

Derek Bramble is a senior majoring in Broadcast Journalism and Theater.

It was maybe coincidence, but positioned just behind his left shoulder as Tyrique Stevenson spoke ab ...

The Miami Hurricanes unveiled a new turnover chain this season, replacing the bedazzled “U” that han ...

Before now, the last time the Miami Hurricanes scored 21 or fewer points in four consecutive games w ...

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

Miami wraps up its season-opening homestand with a 2 p.m. Saturday matchup against Bethune-Cookman a ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...