Meghan Saake ready to lead UM to success

In college basketball there are few women that are proficient in every aspect of the game; whether it is running the floor, playing defense, or making highlight-reel plays on offense. The Hurricanes are very lucky to have had the services of Meghan Saake, who is a rare breed basketball player, for four years.
Saake, a senior captain of this year’s squad, has the ability to take someone off the dribble, hit outside shots, penetrate, rebound, or dish out great passes all while playing stellar defense. Last year she was voted the Big East Defensive Player of the Year.
“That [Defensive Player of the Year] was the highlight of my career so far,” Saake said. “I pride myself on defense and hope to keep improving and maintain the same level of intensity all season long.”
Growing up in Wellington, FL, Saake led her Wellington high school team to a 23-9 record during her senior year and broke the school’s scoring record with 2,021 career points. She was voted the Sun-Sentinel Player of the Year for her senior year accomplishments.
Saake’s success has carried over to UM, where she has started all four years of her career. As a freshman Saake started all 29 games and led the team in steals.
Saake’s sophomore season could be considered a breakout year for her as she was voted to the Big-East All-Star team and lead the league in steals (74). It was during this season where Saake’s defensive skills started to gain recognition.
Last year, as a junior, Saake led the ‘Canes to a 19-12 record and a WNIT bid. She averaged 11.2 points and 4.9 rebounds to go along with the Defensive Player of the Year honors.
As a senior, Saake has big plans for this season in what has become more of a wide-open Big East than last season, where UConn went undefeated and dominated everybody.
“As usual, UCONN and Notre Dame will be tough, but the rest of the league is much more evenly matched,” Saake said. “I feel we have a good shot to be competitive in the Big East and go deep in the NCAAs.”
Being one of the few upperclassmen on this year’s squad, Saake feels she will have to set the tone for the younger players.
“This year I have to lead by example and be more vocal,” Saake said. “I will have to be a positive influence for the younger players.”
As for her future, Saake is not sure where basketball fits into the equation, but she hopes that she gets the chance to prolong her career.
“I hope for a future in basketball, but right now I am taking it one day at a time,” Saake said. “I think a lot of it has to do with what happens this year, and that it what I am focused on right now.”
Well, if the WNBA is looking for a player that can do just about anything on the court, then they can’t look past number 25 on the Hurricanes. But as for this season, Meghan Saake isn’t going anywhere.