Letter to the Editor

As I crossed US 1 after school last week, my blood boiled with rage. Not because I was annoyed with the endless amounts of toxins I was breathing in standing by the exhaust of 50,000 cars, but because I had just witnessed one of the worst acts of stupidity that I’ve seen in my time here at UM.
I climbed aboard the Hurry ‘Cane shuttle for a quick ride to the garage from the fountain aboard the EXPRESS shuttle. Good for me, right? Not so much.
The shuttle driver, just doing his job, just earning some bucks and trying not to hit anything or anyone, told a certain unnamed student athlete and fraternity member that he would not be able to get off the shuttle at the Hecht Athletic Center being that he was aboard the “EXPRESS” shuttle……and what ensued was a loud, inappropriate battle between this poor man and a self-righteous “frat boy”.
“WHY THE F*** WON’T YOU STOP HERE???? F***ING A**HOLE!!! EVERY OTHER F***ING SHUTTLE STOPS HERE!!!!” Excuse me, buddy, but lay off the epinephrine. The argument continued, and all I wanted to say was, “hey, being an athlete, shouldn’t you be OK with the fact that you’ll just have to walk 5 minutes out of your way? Better luck next time!”
But being the subdued individual that I am, I restrained myself. Finally this highly intelligent individual pressed the emergency exit button and exited in a huff at a traffic light. But not before his final “F***ING A**HOLE!!!” was given to the shuttle driver. He even had the audacity to ask, “DON’T YOU HAVE A CONSCIENCE? I’M GOING TO BE LATE FOR PRACTICE YOU A**HOLE!!!”
Evidently, this guy hasn’t gotten a day past high school. And to think, this is whom I share an education with. Is a beefcake on a power trip worth $25,000? I think not.

Laraine Elizabeth Martin

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...